• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Cobra 29LTD cold dead

dss56

Sep 27, 2010
I have a cobra 29LTD lights up bright dim works Green receive Led and red Led work when mic is keyed.

Radio has no receive no transmit and I tried next to a radio to transmit dead cold and i tried to transmit a radio and to see if i had any receive cold dead.
No voltage on any pll pins at all. So somewhere 5 volts is gone. Cant seem to get a good schematic for this radio with a voltage chart.
I can hear a bit of a click when mic is keyed in the speaker and meter shows nothing.
Anyone ever have one dead but all lights work.
I checked the regulator on the side of radio and seem to be ok.

Any help appreciated

May not be the case for yours, but most of my PC66 and PC68 radios had cold solder joints just before the PLL chip area. Maybe poke around with a plastic piece around the board underneath in various areas and see if it will come to life again and hear static. Turn up your rf gain, hook up yer mic, Hook up an antenna or wire in the back and do some probing. :p

Just an idea, but if it still dont come back, it may be something more. Hope you get it fixed.

Thanks for the reply

Already looked and probed for cold solder joints. Just have to get a good schematic and trace back to the voltage thats suppose to be at the pll, im sure that is why no transmit/recv.

thanks

Update on the 29LTD
removed D19 checked out ok
Removed C112 and Bingo it was shorted replaced and radio working.

Again thanks to all for the info posted on what to check out.
Awesome you fixed it. Information like this is great to have. Why Forums will reign king for information. Forums have been around much longer than Facebook so there is still a ton of good information.

Reactions: NZ8N and Tech5

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m