• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Cobra 75 WX ST Install in a 2004 F150

K

Kung

I think this is my first post, so I might ask a lot of questions. Please be gentle. LOL

The local sound shop has evidently set up these CBs before; they installed my CB. However, I'm guessing they didn't spend a heck of a lot of time grounding the heck out of the system, because I can 'hear' the acceleration/deceleration through the speaker.

My question is, exactly what all needs to be 'grounded'? I mean, obviously the black wire supplying power to the remote plug needs to be grounded, and it is LOL but do I need to ground it to anything else, and/or do I need to ground other parts of the truck to each other? I'm a former Naval electronics tech, so I understand electric/electronic theory, but am not too familiar with CB theory (translation - I'm a newbie).

Second question - any recommendations on a good antenna? I've currently got one of those 'cellular' looking CB antennas (yeah, yeah, I know they suck, but for the next week or two it's all I have access to), but I don't plan on staying w/it forever.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Kung said:
I think this is my first post, so I might ask a lot of questions. Please be gentle. LOL

The local sound shop has evidently set up these CBs before; they installed my CB. However, I'm guessing they didn't spend a heck of a lot of time grounding the heck out of the system, because I can 'hear' the acceleration/deceleration through the speaker.

My question is, exactly what all needs to be 'grounded'? I mean, obviously the black wire supplying power to the remote plug needs to be grounded, and it is LOL but do I need to ground it to anything else, and/or do I need to ground other parts of the truck to each other? I'm a former Naval electronics tech, so I understand electric/electronic theory, but am not too familiar with CB theory (translation - I'm a newbie).

Kung,
Try some snap on torrid cores (acquired at Radio Shack). Interwrap several turns of the + line thru the core. BTW, grounding still won't get rid of all the noise. I still have noise from the damn fuel pump coming in on mine. I haven't gotten around to trying the fix of several torrid cores on the power leads for the fuel pump at the source. Haven't had the time to track them down. There are several threads here addressing this issue.

Second question - any recommendations on a good antenna? I've currently got one of those 'cellular' looking CB antennas (yeah, yeah, I know they suck, but for the next week or two it's all I have access to), but I don't plan on staying w/it forever.

Lots of posibilities here Kung. Anything from a 102 inch whip to a Mag-Mount on the roof. Or like I did with a bedrail gripper mount. If interested, see the thread "Install in my new ride" this section for the link.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Hope this helps!!

Your antenna system is always key! If you do not already have a SWR meter you will need to buy one. This will help you match what ever antenna you decide to use to your vehicle. Also useing quality coax and a good antenna such as the 102" whip Will help greatly! Good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.