• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Compare Anytone Quality At-5555n2 vs. AT-6666

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
We have all heard how good the AT-5555n2 is in stability and clarity which had me almost ready to buy one until PA messed around with the Hands Fee law so now because of it I am thinking of the AT-6666 so I could use a President BT-Mike with it. So I would like to hear from the experienced operators a comparison of stability, receive quality, and clarity between these 2 radios. My only other option would be to find a way to improve the receive on my Lincoln II+ because DTB Radio did a fine job of aligning it and it sounds great also. Plus the other sticker is the AT-6666 Pro isn't out yet for a track record. Have at it ! LOL

We have all heard how good the AT-5555n2 is in stability and clarity which had me almost ready to buy one until PA messed around with the Hands Fee law so now because of it I am thinking of the AT-6666 so I could use a President BT-Mike with it. So I would like to hear from the experienced operators a comparison of stability, receive quality, and clarity between these 2 radios. My only other option would be to find a way to improve the receive on my Lincoln II+ because DTB Radio did a fine job of aligning it and it sounds great also. Plus the other sticker is the AT-6666 Pro isn't out yet for a track record. Have at it ! LOL
Both excellent rigs, but the q5n2 is by far more technologically advanced. The q6 is great in all departments but the N2 is far better in all of them.
That said the q6 is excellent, held the torch for quite a while but had to pass it in to big little brother.

At this point, just wait for the pro if you don't want the n2, I believe it'll take the torch away.

Reactions: whiteastro and Pez
AT-5555Nii wins over the original AT-6666 performance in all areas, assuming you don't mind the size difference.

The new AT-6666 PRO has stability and performance that is at least equal to, or better than the AT-5555Nii. Both are great radios.

FYI, the new AT-6666 PRO has an improved VOX that will also work in SSB mode. This might be an important factor for you, in hands free. It also has RX audio available on the front mic socket, which means one single cable connection to the mic socket will have RX audio, TX audio and PTT available. That is everything you need for a headset, or a fully wireless speaker/microphone, or any other audio accessory or interface you like.

Last edited:
FYI, the new AT-6666 PRO has an improved VOX that will also work in SSB mode. This might be an important factor for you, in hands free. It also has RX audio available on the front mic socket, which means one single cable connection to the mic socket will have RX audio, TX audio and PTT available. That is everything you need for a headset, or a fully wireless speaker/microphone, or any other audio accessory or interface you like.
Seeing I was out of radio 30+ years chasing family dreams I don't understand it all as well as you guys do but you have me convinced to wait for the 6666-Pro because I can't keep buying radios chasing my DX dream. Lord knows I have enough to keep me occupied while I'm waiting. Thanks to both of you !

Reactions: Pez
Seeing I was out of radio 30+ years chasing family dreams I don't understand it all as well as you guys do but you have me convinced to wait for the 6666-Pro because I can't keep buying radios chasing my DX dream. Lord knows I have enough to keep me occupied while I'm waiting. Thanks to both of you !
The 6666 Pro's release is right around the corner, it will be worth the short wait. Additionally, you get the stuff you want straight out of the gate, without adding boards and the like. If there are any quirks that come up, it can be fixed with a firmware update, so it isn't like you are stuck with a dog.

I also read that PA had some kind of relaxation of that law, after the hams got into it with them.

SL

AT-5555Nii wins over the original AT-6666 performance in all areas, assuming you don't mind the size difference.

The new AT-6666 PRO has stability and performance that is at least equal to, or better than the AT-5555Nii. Both are great radios.

I see where the pro is going to have a menu setting to control the agc which is also a huge plus for these new receivers.

I have both and they are both fine radios. 6666 receive audio is nowhere near as good as the 5555n2.......it's plenty sensitive, it just sounds a bit harsh and grating. The 5555n2 has fantastic audio on both receive and transmit. 5555n2 has noise reduction which works REALLY well.
The 6666 is a LOT smaller if you have space issues........it fits in my Rav4 fine whereas the 5555n2 is much too big.

Reactions: whiteastro
The 6666 is a LOT smaller if you have space issues........it fits in my Rav4 fine whereas the 5555n2 is much too big.
I wasn't worried about space issues because I was thinking of setting it up in a camping trailer for traveling. I'm just getting tired of fixing radio issues and want to take it out of the box, set it up and talk a little DX with my radio friends. My whole life has been a challenge, I just want to be a Lite Weight for a change and taste the Good Life ! LOL

I see where the pro is going to have a menu setting to control the agc which is also a huge plus for these new receivers.
What is the AGC ? I'm guessing Automatic Gain Control and if so does my President Lincoln II+ have one that could be malfunctioning. The other question is can I tell if my Lincoln II+ is a version 2 or a 3 by the serial #. When I ordered it from Walcott I ask if it was a version 3 and the salesman said he Thinks so. You know you can tell when a salesman is lying because his lips are moving. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ David K. Aldridge:
    Hi. I acquired a Galaxy Saturn Turbo that goes into xmit mode, xmit LED lights, but no output at all in any mode when monitoring on a radio right next to it. Nothing. It receives fine. Also, in the amp module on back, there are MRF454's in there. Those weren't factory, were they? Any clues? Thanks.