• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CPI BC2000 8 Volt regulator "upgrade"

TM86

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2014
Payson, AZ
My BC2000 take a dump a while back and I just got around to fixing it. The 8 volt regulator circuit in these is a zener holding the base voltage on a small transistor. This arrangement tends to be problematic. As in the transistor tends to die. So here's what I did.

Located Q8, the regulator transistor. It's right next to the crystal on the top board, which makes it pretty easy to find.

Removed R1, a 220 (or 22, hard to tell when it's charred) ohm resistor which connects between the 12 volt feed and the collector of Q8.

Removed R2, a 470 ohm resistor that connects between the 12 volt feed and the base of Q8. At least I think it's R2. It's definitely 470 Ohms.

Removed Z1, the 8 volt zener diode that connects between the base of Q8 and ground.

Removed Q8.

Installed a jumper across where R1 used to be.

Installed a jumper across where Z1 used to be.

Installed a 7808 8 volt regulator where Q8 used to be. Pin 1 goes where the collector of Q8 used to be, pin 2 goes where the base of Q8 used to be, and pin 3 goes where the emitter of Q8 used to be.

I then took a TO-220 sized heatsink I picked up at a Radio Shack clearance sale a few years back and attached that to the 7808. Nice that it had a threaded hole and I happened to have a screw that fit. In retrospect I should have used some wires and mounted the regulator to the center plate like the 12 volt regulator is. I just didn't feel like hauling this thing to the garage to drill a hole in the center plate, then find a nut and screw to secure the regulator with.

I let it run overnight with no covers and it was still working this morning. So I've now put it back in the case and have started a 24 hour burn in to see if it can survive that.

Fairly simple mod using parts I had on hand. Thought it might be handy for someone else if they find their factory setup to be failure prone.

I got annoyed at the time spent fixing the two-transistor 9-Volt regulator found in RCI-made radios. This pic shows a 7808T in place of the original PNP transistor. The diode between the regulator's center pin and ground serves to boost the output voltage by about 2/3 of a Volt. Not important to me, but using a straight 8-Volt source on this pc board cuts the transmit peak output a tiny bit. The original regulator is closer to 9 Volts and the diode gets our substitute closer to that.

ept360010a9vregsubsm.jpg

There is a solder bridge that I should have marked with an arrow. But if you have this pc board in front of you, it will be apparent.

A few of the old regulator parts have to come out besides the power transistor, but this gets it fixed a lot faster than futzing with the factory regulator circuit.

Reactions: TM86 and NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Length on matching stubs is critical...Length of rods is part of the overall antenna...Would appear antenna is too Long...same on Both Polarities or different?
  • @ Crawdad:
    Here's a thought: Could the length of the SS welding rod need to be different than what the broken rod(s) were due to a different Velocity Factor of SS?
  • @ Jim5570091:
    Close to the same. Thats the rout I was going. But needed a second opinion. Thanks cranking the hazer up and down testing was getting to an old man. Upper 90s here. Cheers 297 The red dog north Alabama.
  • @ Jim5570091:
    Maybe. I wasn’t impressed with just clamping the shield wire to the boom with a hose clamp. I built a l bracket with so239 female hubs. I posted a picture on the recent gallery’s.
  • @ Jim5570091:
    Well I cut the matching stubs down 1 inch at a time from about 20” down to 6”. Still no real changes.