• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Diodes inline with antenna?

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
Playing around I put two diodes inline with my antenna before the receiver. Attenuated the signal. But seemed like it did better than the rf gain with the signal to noise ratio. Is it? Or did I just imagine that it did? Or is it just an atrenuator?

RF is AC current at a spec'd frequency and power level. Adding a diode in-series will rectify that AC, turning it into DC. What you'll hear on the RX end would sound more like a machine gun, rather than anything intelligible.
But diodes ARE essential and used to isolate the signal for sampling it.

RF is AC current at a spec'd frequency and power level. Adding a diode in-series will rectify that AC, turning it into DC. What you'll hear on the RX end would sound more like a machine gun, rather than anything intelligible.
But diodes ARE essential and used to isolate the signal for sampling it.
No machine gun sound here. But it's between the rx antenna and the receiver.

Unless you had a situation of severe receiver overload, such as somebody parked in your driveway transmitting, these diodes would never have enough RF voltage across them to even begin to conduct or rectify in the recieve mode. They do have some internal capacitance so they are acting as nothing more than attenuators in this application. The reason the direction doesn't matter is because capacitance doesn't change with the direction of the diode.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m