• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

elkin 12 and 8 tube amp.(need help quick)

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
Found both for sell.12 tube for $600.00 and 8 for $400.00.not sure wich one im going to go with.Want kind of power can i expect from a 12 and 8 tube?The 12 has just been gone thru from top to bottom but im not sure about the 8.I heard the 8 tonight and it sounds good but im not sure wich one is the better deal.What do you think?

Reactions: 1 person

i would stay away from any elkin, they dont make good drivers and they have way too many tubes. i have an sb-200 heathkit that i feel sure will smoke that 12 tube for $200 less. all you need is a small driver, i also have a swinger, 2 tube to drive the 200, i would sell you the complete setup for less than $600.

12dq6b are one of the cheapest tubes on the market and very easy to get. I alwasy look and the price of tubes and if you they are easy to get or not.I have seen the 12dq6b for under ten bucks if you get them from the right place look around on the net evrybody has them diff price and brands. I prefer the ge green label 12dq6b

copy and pasted from www.tubesandmore.com

T-12DQ6B_12GW6
2005 Catalog
page 8

12DQ6B/12GW6 - BEAM POWER AMPLIFIER

If you would like your tubes matched for an additional $1.25 per tube, please indicate so in the Additional Notes section of your shopping cart.
$10.20 each

6 YR OLD POST BUT

ELKIN WERE THE BEST MODULATING AMP EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DONT TAKE POWER JUST A 30 T0 50 WATT RADIO ON A 1-3 DEAD KEY. THE 8 WILL DO AS MUCH AS THE 12 . THE 12 TUBE TUBES ARE AROUND $4 AND THE 12DQ6 FOR THE 8 TUBE ARE $12 EACH . THE 8 WILL DO ABOUT 1K WATTS AND THE 12 WILL DO THE SAME IF TUNNED RIGHT AND NEW GLASS YOU WILL HAVE YEARS OF GREAT SERVICE FROM THESE AMPS. I HAVE 7 OF THESE AMPS 2/4/6/SUPER6/ 8/12 AND A SUPER 4. ALL THE SUPER IS ALL THE TUBES ARE TIED TOGETHER , CLUSTER AND THEY HAVE A HIGH AND LOW. IF YOU STILL HAVE ANY AND WANT TO SELL THEM ILL TAKE ALL I CAN FIND AS I LIVE 15 MILES FROM A ELKIN BUILDER THAT WORKED FOR ELKIN FOR 15 YEARS!!!!!!!!!:)

tube amp master

(y)You need to
get up with Danny Muckelroy in Conway South Carolina....He is the master of tube amps....
Sometimes you can find him on channel 1 in Conway area.(y)
Go's by TURBO

Last edited:
I personally think that the best thing that could happen to you is that both of those amplifiers should be bought out from under you. Elkin may have been the best of that type of amplifier, but that's like saying you have the best wart of all warts. That says nothing about their price, which is ridiculous, really. Considering what's on the market, neither of those things are a good deal except for the seller. Sorry 'bout that, but it's a fact.
- 'Doc

let me know where you found these amps ive always run the elkin amps and will continue to run them if i can find them for sale.

6 YR OLD POST BUT

ELKIN WERE THE BEST MODULATING AMP EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DONT TAKE POWER JUST A 30 T0 50 WATT RADIO ON A 1-3 DEAD KEY. THE 8 WILL DO AS MUCH AS THE 12 . THE 12 TUBE TUBES ARE AROUND $4 AND THE 12DQ6 FOR THE 8 TUBE ARE $12 EACH . THE 8 WILL DO ABOUT 1K WATTS AND THE 12 WILL DO THE SAME IF TUNNED RIGHT AND NEW GLASS YOU WILL HAVE YEARS OF GREAT SERVICE FROM THESE AMPS. I HAVE 7 OF THESE AMPS 2/4/6/SUPER6/ 8/12 AND A SUPER 4. ALL THE SUPER IS ALL THE TUBES ARE TIED TOGETHER , CLUSTER AND THEY HAVE A HIGH AND LOW. IF YOU STILL HAVE ANY AND WANT TO SELL THEM ILL TAKE ALL I CAN FIND AS I LIVE 15 MILES FROM A ELKIN BUILDER THAT WORKED FOR ELKIN FOR 15 YEARS!!!!!!!!!:)

Reactions: walterjn
With the equipment I run, everyone knows that I'm an old school guy.
But I draw the line when it comes to sweep tube amps. Especially 8 or 12 tube. the amount of energy consumed by just the filaments is outrageous, and the heat they generate is outrageous too. If you must have a tube amp, get one that uses a real transmitting tube like the 3-500Z. Besides that the prices on sweep tubes are out the roof, buying so-called new old stock is a shot in the dark. A better choice for a high power amp is LDMOS. Reliable and readily available at a decent price. Sweep tube amps had their day, but it's long past.

- J.J. 399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.