• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Explain the differences in moving 2ft

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
Imagine you’re driving down the road in your local backwoods farmland. Radios on windows are down and you’re enjoying the drive. You are on blacktop highway and other than a fence beside the road it’s open and clear of obstructions.

You hear a station so you get the idea you’ll hit him up. His signal is hi then lo. You stop the car and listen. He’s a 3-5. You roll forward 5 feet and he’s a 5-9. You back up 7 feet he’s a 5-9. Terrain has not changed. Orientation of the vehicle hasn’t changed. Sweet spots.

Now explain how sweet spots work. It’s not picket fencing or fading. Maybe it’s a lump of coal you’re parked over increasing the ground plane maybe its magnetic field in a specific spot. But it’s a hot spot. And it’s always in that one location. Every day every time. So it’s not atmospheric.

What is it and could you measure it so you could find places like that intentionally??

Don’t laugh

I have a similar situation. I can receive certain stations at my home location on both the base and the mobile, but if I move to the end of the street in my mobile the signal drops and I am unable to reach stations I previously could at the home 20. I think I get some bounce from the mountains around me, or from repeater stations from TV or VHF-UHF. I dunno, but it is consistent and repeatable..

I actually wrote a lesson about this very subject when I was going through Instructor training at Corry field, P-cola. 31 years ago. Damn time flies.

Reflection , refraction, and filtration.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.