• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

External Antenna Question

kilogulf59

May 29, 2024
Central Wisconsin
www.tapatalk.com
Let me start off by saying I know nothing about radios. I can plug ‘em in, put batteries in ‘em, turn ‘em on, listen to ‘em, and that’s about it. Anything more than that and I’m completely ignorant.

I had an old Redsun PF2100 PLL radio that I gave to my grandson. The radio’s hardly been used, however the mast antenna snapped off (my fault) and I cannot find a replacement online. I am still searching though. The radio has FM from 87 MHz - 108 MHz, medium wave and shortwave 1'711 kHz - 30'000 kHz, divided into SW1, SW2 and SW3. I’d like to get external antennas for this as there’s sockets, as the manual calls them, on the back (ref pic below). Here’s some additional information.

From the manual:
EXTERNAL ANTENNA FOR FM/SW
External antenna for FM (75 ohm) or external antenna for SW (50 ohm) can be connected to the EXT. ANTENNA Socket for FM and SW for better position and FM-DX.
The INT. / EXT. ANTENNA Switch on the side of the radio should be set to external antenna (lower position).
EXTERNAL ANTENNA FOR MW
The EXT. ANTENNA Sockets for MW on this radio is for
connection of a long wire antenna (red socket) and to the ground (black socket).
When there is a thunderstorm, please disconnect the external
antenna from the radio and place it in a safe place.
AM IF OUT
This radio has an AM IF OUT socket that is for extended functions, such as SSB, DRM, SSTV, etc. (Please read other related materials re these topics).

The antenna connections on the back are two Flex F connectors (female) for FM/SW and AM IF OUT (whatever that is?) and a two spring clip terminals for the MW (ref pic below). The expandable thumbnail pics are below and I can provide a PDF of the manual is that would help.

I have no clue as to what type/kind of antennas to get. These would be used indoors, no towers or house mounts. BTW, we are rural, no electronics stores to visit either. All of this has to be done on-line. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: Crawdad

Ken's has a lot of stuff. Might be able to match it up with something. He also has a lot of stuff that is not on the website, might be worth it to give him a call.

Thanks for the links. I got a rather cool response from C. Crane. They don't support that radio (CC-SW) anymore. That's it. I read it as I'm not doing anything more than I have to so just buy a new radio.

Addendum:

This isn't worth the BS. Thanks for the help folks. I thought I could save a good radio, however trying to do this completely online and with my excruciatingly limited knowledge it just isn't worth the hassle. I mean, I have a lot of hours into this for not.

Thanks to all for your assistance, it's very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I got a rather cool response from C. Crane. They don't support that radio (CC-SW) anymore. That's it. I read it as I'm not doing anything more than I have to so just buy a new radio.

Addendum:

This isn't worth the BS. Thanks for the help folks. I thought I could save a good radio, however trying to do this completely online and with my excruciatingly limited knowledge it just isn't worth the hassle. I mean, I have a lot of hours into this for not.

Thanks to all for your assistance, it's very much appreciated.
I am a little confused with what is wrong with the radio. In the radio world, a mast is a pole that holds the antenna in the air, not the antenna itself. So is it the telescopic antenna itself that is broke? Those are available all over online. Just about any will do.

Is there something else wrong with the radio? If not, you now know what connector type is on the back of the radio and have links to websites about making antennas, so I am confused where the discouragement is coming from. Radio is a hobby where the one thing just about anyone can DIY is the antenna, so it is common to go that route instead of buying one. You can go buy one, but you will need to specify what band you intend to listen to.

Often times, the signals you pick up will be strong enough where having the antenna tuned is not that critical. If you don't know what you want to listen to, just take a scrap piece of wire as long as you have room for and connect it to the antenna jack center pin and see what you can pick up. Change wire length and orientation and try again to see what else you get.

If you find you want good reception on a particular frequency, come on back and we can talk about that given the space you have. A properly tuned antenna is only necessary when you are receiving weak signals or you intend to transmit. For casual listening, the antenna requirements are not nearly as critical.

Reactions: kilogulf59
If you would show just how the antenna is broken it would sure help! If it is just the tip of the telescoping antenna (very common to happen) it doesn't really matter much other than it is harder to pull it up or collapse it.

If what it mounts to on the radio itself is broken and I am guessing that is the case, then you have a big problem and would need to use an external antenna. Like mentioned, just a similar length of wire is all you really need. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.

The replacement telescoping antennas are easy to find on Ebay and other places. You just need to get the correct kind of mounting at the base of it.

Just search for telescoping antenna on Ebay. You probably need something like this one and you will get a LOT of listings with that search.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)
  • dxBot:
    deathstalker has left the room.