• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Galaxy 98 VHP & Current Draw.

Radioham6

Sep 14, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have purchased a pre loved 98 VHP ( With the 8x Mosfets RFPA) a few days ago and just curious about it's DC current requirements. I run the 98 on a big switch mode power supply and I note.... With no audio supplied and key the transmitter on SSB, I have a current draw of around 14-16 Amps. No RF output and 16amps????

I've been in radio now for about 40 years and have never seen a solid state RF PA do this. Heaps of output on SSB when one talks up the radio..... easily 200watts..... AM it's around 50 Watts.

The radio looks like new and has the Starlite display.....I am just astonished the beast is so hungry with no audio drive on SSB.

Interested in everyones experience and comments.

Thanks for a great forum!
Cheers

Sounds like that radio needs some help, off hand DTB Radio, Doug at Custom CB, or Key CB would probably be able to get it straight.

Reactions: Radioham6
Sounds like that radio needs some help, off hand DTB Radio, Doug at Custom CB, or Key CB would probably be able to get it straight.

Hi Guys,

I emailed Mr DTB Radio and he offered advice to what the issue was at no charge.
What a fantastic honest guy!

And the problem was RF PA bias. Someone had been fiddling. The adjustment has been made and I am so grateful to the forum and suggestions.

Chris.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.