• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Galaxy Melaka weak receive

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Got a Galaxy Melaka base on the desk.

Issue:
Weak receive, high static noise.
Constant 3db of signal with heavy hash noise. Local strong stations only put about 6db on the meter (with meter turned wide open). All modes. Transmit is great, other than SSB sounds distorted (all limiters still intact and functioning properly).

Replaced all electrolytic caps, even the 50v caps with new Nichicon brand.
Checked TR17, TR19, D15/D16, C49, solder joints, etc...still can't get receive up to par. RF gain functions properly. The voltages on TR17 and TR19 look good according to voltage chart.

All alignment steps went great, couldn't ask for better numbers and ease of alignment. No issues whatsoever when aligning.

Any ideas out here on this issue?

Turns out L6 wasn't seated properly together.

Went through voltage checks, alignment and receive alignment 5 times, always ended up with the same results. Was starting on the receive alignment again for the 6th time, when I got to L6 and noticed a snap noise while pressing down on L6, BOOM, the receive came back to life. L6 is of a 2 part exterior plastic construction, the upper and lower portions of L6 snap together, but this one wasn't snapped together firmly.

Issue fixed!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m