• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

GE 3-5825A Clarifier Unlock

Probate

Feb 28, 2021
Hi All,

Im looking for instructions on how to unlock the clarifier with just minimal slide and what pots to adjust am/ssb for frequency.

Thanks

Hmm. That radio is absent from online info sources. I'll see if I can find Howard Sams volume CB-153 next time I'm at work.

The process always has two steps. First, disable the source of transmit-only voltage feeding the PLL's clarifier circuit. Second, unhook the front-panel clarifier from the receive-only power source and patch it to a continuous source of regulated DC voltage. Some of those Cybernet-made radios required a small 5-Volt regulator chip mounted across the clarifier control's outer lugs to do this. Or you could use a zener diode. Just can't remember specifics for that model.

I'll be back later if I can find CB-153.

Whups! Volume CB-153 is AWOL from my collection. Might turn up, but no good way to predict. Had all 293 volumes at one time. How many are really missing and how many just got "put down" in the wrong place? No idea.

If it turns up I'll check back.

Whats the board number? If it is PTBM058COX, that's also used in the Lafayette Telsat SSB-140. I think it might also be similar to the Hygain 5, but not 100% sure.

I have a schematic for the SSB-140 if the board numbers match.

If it is the same as the SSB 140 look here.

Jeff

Thought the A was the single board and the B was the dual board. It was mentioned in this video:

I will have to check. I have one here that is a dual board. I *thought* it was an "A", but maybe I'm wrong. If it is a single board, it will be similar to all of the Cybernet SSB 02A chassis radios.

Whups! Volume CB-153 is AWOL from my collection. Might turn up, but no good way to predict. Had all 293 volumes at one time. How many are really missing and how many just got "put down" in the wrong place? No idea.

If it turns up I'll check back.

Hi, I appreciate the effort, having a hard time finding this mod.

3-5825A is the single board like the one in the Telsat SSB140
3-5825B is the double board like the ones in the GE Superbase

For the A (the same as the SSB140
PLL02A PTBM048A0X LAFAYETTE TELSAT SSB140
- Remove diode D-5

- Lift (disconnect) resistor R24 other side from D4 ie: leave D4 end of R24 as is
- Feed constant 9.4v supply from mode switch (check with meter) to the on-connected end of R-24

**you will need to re-align the frequencies after the mod...

Could just pull the clarifier knob off and recenter it on the pot. That way you can wear out the 1o'clock part of the wiper path instead of where it already wore from years past at the noon position.

Could just pull the clarifier knob off and recenter it on the pot. That way you can wear out the 1o'clock part of the wiper path instead of where it already wore from years past at the noon position.
I've never done that so I will need to let other comment on that logic. I will say that this radio has an indent at 12 o'clock so the control kinda stays there. I guess that is a prevention from the accidental bump.

Reactions: brandon7861
3-5825A is the single board like the one in the Telsat SSB140
3-5825B is the double board like the ones in the GE Superbase

For the A (the same as the SSB140
PLL02A PTBM048A0X LAFAYETTE TELSAT SSB140
- Remove diode D-5

- Lift (disconnect) resistor R24 other side from D4 ie: leave D4 end of R24 as is
- Feed constant 9.4v supply from mode switch (check with meter) to the on-connected end of R-24

I appreciate the reply and I will perform this by the weekend. Do you know which pots are for am,lsb,usb for frequency?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ David K. Aldridge:
    Hi. I acquired a Galaxy Saturn Turbo that goes into xmit mode, xmit LED lights, but no output at all in any mode when monitoring on a radio right next to it. Nothing. It receives fine. Also, in the amp module on back, there are MRF454's in there. Those weren't factory, were they? Any clues? Thanks.