• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Grant XL Questions

BigMike357

Apr 2, 2020
I have just picked up a Uniden Grant XL and it has this so called power mod? What does it do and what was the purpose of it?

Grant XL (8719)

Power Tweaks

1. Add a 1.5 K resistor on to the middle leg of Q24 (cut the track and bridge with the resistor)
2. Replace R126 (10k) with a 4.7k.
3. Replace R124 (10k) with a 4.7k
4. Re-tune coils L37 and L38 for maximum forward swing on AM mode.
MODULATION: Remove R131
AM POWER: VR10
SSB POWER: VR11

R131 is the AM modulation limiter. Q24 also is part of that, but also controls the ALC for SSB. Changing the other two resistors is also about trying to boost modulation. Personally I wouldn't do this mod, and if it had already been done, I would reverse it.

Reactions: doffo and Pez
Would you also reverse r 131 and just turn up the mod pot?

R131 is the AM modulation limiter. Q24 also is part of that, but also controls the ALC for SSB. Changing the other two resistors is also about trying to boost modulation. Personally I wouldn't do this mod, and if it had already been done, I would reverse it.

The only thing you do to a Uniden Grant xl is give it a good alignment. If you really need to add extra channels and unlock the clarifier. It’s such a great stable low powered radio you just don’t mess with them. They match up great to about any 2 pill amp or a kl203. Clipping 131 will bring up the audio but also turn it into a splatter box. As far as your mod could be a simple swing kit. With that radio there is no modulation pot.

Reactions: Woody-202

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.