• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

headphones on a quad 5

c316buckeye

Jul 2, 2023
Is it ok to use headphones through the external speaker jack? Not as worried about just listening as i am transmitting. i have not found anything on the web regarding this. That might be for a good reason, but the curiosity remains. Concern being difference in ohms, and if i would transmit with the headphones plugged in, would lightning bark between my ears or produce a squeal on the receiving end of the conversation? i haven't tried it out of respect for the radio..

It's not a problem. Both external speakers and headphones operate at 8 ohms impedence..... Just make sure the volume is low before you jack in the 'phones (you don't want to damage your hearing!)
If the jack on the radio is wired mono you may only get audio out of one side of the headphones (a couple of my radios are like this, especially older ones).

i thank you folks for all the information. already learned (the hard way) about the volume thing with headphones and the sds200. it landed on a trunked fire channel where 1 guy was yelling at another guy at some incident. blew me right out of my chair. eardrums registered 1.21 gigawatts

• Haha
Reactions: BC Coyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Bandit1:
    Hey guys I been out a while
  • @ Naysayer:
    ARRL paid ransom for their files back from s hack attack? Todays Amateur thread Reddit
  • @ Naysayer:
    In middle of an antenna job. Misplaced paperwork on purchased balun. It's a 1:1 current balun for a dipole that I disconnected a while ago. I purchased the balun from Canadian company where one input connection has a Red Dot. That for the center of coax, right?