• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Help - Broken New President Washington

Johnny Mullet

Jan 7, 2024
I did some work on a friend's vehicle and got paid for the job. As a tip he gave me a new President Washington radio. He told me there was an issue with transmit. I hooked it up to my base with my 100 amp power supply that runs my Quad 6 no problem. I also hooked it to my 30 amp power supply and same issue. The radio turns on and receives great. As soon as you hit the PTT the radio shuts completely off and then comes back on. I tried the stock president mike from my McKinley and same issue.

I opened the case and can not see anything physically burnt or broken. I would like to get this radio fixed if possible and any direction or help is welcome.

My guess is it has blown finals or something else in the PA stage, causing a large current draw (or, large voltage drop) on TX, which causes the radio to reset. That's just a wild guess though. Did your friend mess with the service menu?

As a very long shot, also try another power cable on the small chance that it has a problem delivering any current.

Reactions: Johnny Mullet
My guess is it has blown finals or something else in the PA stage, causing a large current draw (or, large voltage drop) on TX, which causes the radio to reset. That's just a wild guess though. Did your friend mess with the service menu?

As a very long shot, also try another power cable on the small chance that it has a problem delivering any current.
The guy who owned it installed the fan kit on the heat sink and that's about all I know. I did try another cord and no go.

Reactions: Pez
I would guess the guy who owned it knows what happend. And maybe roughly how he let he smoke out! haha. If it was a random failure, then the radio should still be under GPE warranty, but maybe it is not transferable? I hope you can get a good result.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.