• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

HG 2sc1969s kinda blow tbh

Uncle Ronnie 336

Apr 28, 2020
mosfets have proven to be more durable. all day. i've popped 5 1969 HGs so far trying them over the past couple years, theres a few radios out there in the wild that i worked on that also have them, hoping i won't have to see em again.

Reactions: Cable Guy

I haven't tried the hg's as I scored a stash of eleflow's 1969 (CB20) some years ago and the 10 or so I have used have not popped yet, or at least they haven't made it back to me anyhow. Thanks for the feedback on the hg's, maybe you can try the eleflow and bring satisfaction.

I don’t think I would agree that mosfets have proven to be more durable. Good radio techs and manufacturers have figured out how to make them work but over all they suck. I’ll take any radio that’s dual 1969’s or 2312’s over mosfets. Just ask some RCI n2 and n4 owners how many times they have smoked all their mosfets. And we won’t even talk about the RT1 junk.

I have a book written by Lou Franklin. In it he tells a story where he met a friend for coffee or lunch. To prove a point he parked his car and unscrewed the coax from the back of the radio. He then put a rubber band on the mic to keep it keyed up while they were inside. He came out later and reconnected the coax, the radio was fine.

I have not used a new hg1969 myself. Comments I have seen on the forum say they seem to work fine but do a few less watts compared to the Mitsubishi part. I’m glad we at least still have options at this point.

Reactions: wavrider
ehh, im just gonna use FETs at this point.
I don’t think I would agree that mosfets have proven to be more durable. Good radio techs and manufacturers have figured out how to make them work but over all they suck. I’ll take any radio that’s dual 1969’s or 2312’s over mosfets. Just ask some RCI n2 and n4 owners how many times they have smoked all their mosfets. And we won’t even talk about the RT1 junk.

I have a book written by Lou Franklin. In it he tells a story where he met a friend for coffee or lunch. To prove a point he parked his car and unscrewed the coax from the back of the radio. He then put a rubber band on the mic to keep it keyed up while they were inside. He came out later and reconnected the coax, the radio was fine.

I have not used a new hg1969 myself. Comments I have seen on the forum say they seem to work fine but do a few less watts compared to the Mitsubishi part. I’m glad we at least still have options at this point.

mitsubishi 1969s kick ass and are durable. HGs are a completely different animal. i'd see awesome numbers until :: pop:::

mosfets have proven to be more durable. all day. i've popped 5 1969 HGs so far trying them over the past couple years, theres a few radios out there in the wild that i worked on that also have them, hoping i won't have to see em again.
I don't like HG anything. I have a bunch of CB-20W's to keep things happy when needed.

I had a few pop using silicone isolators, also noticed the bias resistors looked like they got hot too, like the tab was shorted. When I ohmed the tab to heatsink, there was no continuity.
I used the same isolator with a spare 2078 and everything was fine.
I wonder if its some kind of capacitance thing and a different isolator would work beter. ???

Reactions: Cable Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.