• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Hotfoot keying adapter for ham linears. No joke.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Here's a product I never thought I would announce. For years my advice to keying a ham linear from a CB or 10-meter radio was to install a relay inside the radio. A patch cord keys the ham linear as soon as you key the mike, and drops back to receive when the mike does. No chatter, no sideband switch.

Smooth.

But some folks just don't fancy opening up the radio to install a relay and socket. They want external gadgets for their noise toy, echo and whatever.

So here is the prototype for a "Hotfoot", a keying circuit in an external box to use with a ham linear and a radio that has no amp-keying feature on the rear panel.

PcZ3En.jpg

Dirt simple. This end just fits the linear's 'radio' socket.

1HXZcR.jpg

The other end takes the coax jumper to the radio.

h6CT2W.jpg

Not much on the inside. The same keying circuit we sell on fleabay to put inside your linear. A short coax and the wire with the RCA plug for the linear's "relay" socket.

fEYwRO.jpg

Biggest expense building it is the labor. Punching/drilling holes and bolting things down takes longer than stuffing nine parts into a tiny pc board.

No, there's no sideband switch. If you're serious about sideband you'll put the relay inside the radio. Should be okay on AM.

Oh, and if the amplifier says "National" on the front, this won't work with it. That one uses AC to power the relays. Likewise if it says "Heathkit" on the front. SB220/221 or SB200/201 use a high-voltage relay coil. It's not built for that. The only one with the Heathkit brand it's compatible with is the SB1000 model. That one isn't really a Heathkit, it's an Ohio Ameritron AL80A with Heathkit's name on the front. Works with Ameritron, Drake, AEA or any amp with a 12-Volt or 24-Volt DC relay.

No idea of an asking price yet. This is the only one so far. I'll build the next half-dozen and average out the time required. Only then will I have any way to know what each one really costs me to build.

Odds are the selling price will be stupidly extravagant. Got no source of cheap labor who can do that kind of work.

And if the price is so high they don't sell, at least I'll know not to build any more of them.

Film at 11.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m