• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

How old is my Cobra 142GTL?

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
The Cobra 142GTL. In production for a decade and a half, more or less. Just how old is this one?

First place to look is the serial-number plate.

wofkLs.jpg

The first digit of the serial number is the last digit of the year. First made in 1979, IIRC. The "6" first digit in this one should indicate 1986.

Tricky part is for one that starts with the digit "8". Uniden moved production to the Philippines either in 1988 or 1989. Gotta look that up somehow.

Best way to settle the ambiguity of a serial number is to look for open-date markings on integrated circuits inside.

The MB8719 PLL chip will have a four-digit open date code. Naturally if the chip has been replaced this date code doesn't tell you much. It's composed of two digits for the year, followed by two digits for the week, 10-52.

jaNOlb.jpg

This one was made in 1983, so the radio can't be older than that.

The Siemens S042P transmitter-mixer chip will also usually have an open date code.

APdwQ5.jpg

This one says the 46th week of 1985. Quite believable for a 1986 radio.

This should apply to other radios built with this circuit board.

ZGKoTK.jpg

That would include the Uniden Washington, Tram D300 and others.

Some other stuff got done for this radio, so film at 11. Or maybe tomorrow.

It's not that tricky because by 1989 they had moved production from Taiwan to The Philippines, so it's easy to figure out the year of manufacture.

Attachments

• 1989 Cobra 29LTD Classic.jpg
    1989 Cobra 29LTD Classic.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
my 5 cents worth (remember, todays inflation).

I have a 142GTL that I got back on freq for SSB use.
a "PI" made unit. date on the back.

Attachments

• 1993_Cobra_142GTL.jpg
    1993_Cobra_142GTL.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Bandit1:
    Hey guys I been out a while
  • @ Naysayer:
    ARRL paid ransom for their files back from s hack attack? Todays Amateur thread Reddit
  • @ Naysayer:
    In middle of an antenna job. Misplaced paperwork on purchased balun. It's a 1:1 current balun for a dipole that I disconnected a while ago. I purchased the balun from Canadian company where one input connection has a Red Dot. That for the center of coax, right?