• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I found this old Centurion, says it's 45 watts input!

RenoHuskerDu

May 24, 2024
Central Texas
See pics below. Sorry there were wasps in there so we couldn't get in all the way. It's a 22 channel rig with a bright green sticker on top saying it's modified to the latest FCC rules: 25 watts output and 45 watts input. Wut?!? I don't get that at all. Been 40 years since I did any CB, moved on to ham. I thought the limit was 4w pep on AM, 12w pep on ssb. And how can input be less than output?

The question is, should my friend keep this rig? Should he have Rogerbird check it out? Is it worth the trouble?

1720668858742.png1720668927400.png

Last edited:

Not a Cobra it is the Courier Centurion CB base station.
The green sticker should say 12 Watts output, 25 watts input.
They rated things different in the early days, but it was a common CB base station

Jeff

I had the 40 channel version of that exact radio for many years. Mine was peaked and tuned and did about 8 watts max on AM and about 18 max on SSB. That's it. No way you'll get any more than that!
Nice radio though you may need to recap it due to it's age. It has the fabled 858 chip with a Uniden chassis. Mine did 26.085 to 28.045 with no gaps.

I had the 40 channel version of that exact radio for many years. Mine was peaked and tuned and did about 8 watts max on AM and about 18 max on SSB. That's it. No way you'll get any more than that!
Nice radio though you may need to recap it due to it's age. It has the fabled 858 chip with a Uniden chassis. Mine did 26.085 to 28.045 with no gaps.
I'll email Rogerbird and see if he can give it a tune-up.

He did a great job on my Uniden HR2510

The 45 watts is most likely the Power Supply rating not the RF.
They used to rate radios input power
So the radio may draw 25 watts from the line cord but output is 12 watts PeP on SSB.
Input on AM is 5 watts draw but output is 4 watts Pep @100% modulation.
In the video I posted above you can see the sticker that has the ratings on it, not sure why this example says 45 watts on the sticker......
I can not make it out from the pictures posted.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: RenoHuskerDu
Like seeing an old stereo amplifier on fleabay. Only puts about 15 Watts per channel into the speakers, but it draws about five times that from the wall outlet. The serial-number plate will say "120 Volts AC 60 Hz 75 Watts" and that's how the sale listing describes it as a 75-Watt stereo amp.

See pics below. Sorry there were wasps in there so we couldn't get in all the way. It's a 22 channel rig with a bright green sticker on top saying it's modified to the latest FCC rules: 25 watts output and 45 watts input. Wut?!? I don't get that at all. Been 40 years since I did any CB, moved on to ham. I thought the limit was 4w pep on AM, 12w pep on ssb. And how can input be less than output?

The question is, should my friend keep this rig? Should he have Rogerbird check it out? Is it worth the trouble?

View attachment 69386View attachment 69387
There are two things to note here. 45 Watts, may be the POWER CONSUMPTION, not RF POWER INPUT. RF power input, is 25 watts. The final input vs output, is relative to the efficiency of the PA section. You should be seeing 12 Watts PEP output, maybe a bit better on the right power meter.

SL

The FCC didn't have a 4/12 watt rule in 23 channel days. But that is what killed the 1306/1307 combo. By 1978, the FCC wouldn't type accept the radio if it was using them.

Attachments

• cb_mag_may_1974_pg07.gif
    cb_mag_may_1974_pg07.gif
    352.1 KB · Views: 3
  • cb_mag_apl_1974_pg45.gif
    cb_mag_apl_1974_pg45.gif
    295.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: RenoHuskerDu

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.