• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just got a BK Precision 2831A for the bench, and...

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
I have a question.

As far as the meter goes I took it out and ran it through it's basic paces and it works like it should.

Then I thought about something......

I used a DMM to check continuity between the BLK banana jack and the "safety ground" on the line cord.
TOTALLY OPEN!!!!! No continuity at all.

I am interpreting THAT as being "isolated" so that I am not going to blow things up setting that ground probe in odd places to do measurement ACROSS components. Does that sound right?

If not, I can always use a DMM for that.

Had a boss back in the bad old days of "hot chassis" televisions. Once every year or so he would evaporate the tip of the ground clip on a 'scope probe when he touched it to the TV chassis. I would point to the isolation transformer's unused outlet and suggest he had instead plugged into the direct outlet. It was his money getting burned up to buy new 'scope probes, after all.

A battery-powered DMM is the tool of choice if there is any doubt that you're measuring an isolated circuit.

Just safer.

Reactions: guitar_199

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Bueller?
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)