• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Lafayette Telsat SSB 140 TX Offset?

Lkaskel

Aug 4, 2017
Hi Gang,
I have on the bench a Telsat SSB 140. The oscillator alignment is perfect but the radio is not transmitting on frequency. There is not a TX offset so I am curious how you match the TX frequency with the receive? The clarifier is not unlocked. Any thoughts? I have checked other Cybernet radios like the GE 3-5825A and Telsat SSB 120 and they are the same setup.

All the best!!!

No transmit-side trimpot for that radio. Transmit-side (only) tuning voltage to the clarifier-circuit varactor diode comes from two fixed resistors R25 and R26.

This is one reason we routinely unlock the clarifier on this radio. I'm accustomed to soldering a low-power 3-terminal regulator 78L08 across the clarifier control's outer two lugs, and powering the regulator with a wire leading back to the main filter cap on the main pc board.

After pulling D5 and R24.

Another approach is to set the trimmer caps CT4 and CT5 on transmit for correct channel frequency. Then pull the knob off the front-panel clarifier control. Now turn the shaft of the clarifier so the receiver's frequency agrees with the transmit frequency. Push the knob back on the clarifier control with the pointer at 12 o'clock. This will give you a stock setup with the receiver on nearly the same frequency as transmit with the clarifier knob centered.

Easier than trying to shoehorn a transmit-frequency trimpot in place of R25/R26.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ David K. Aldridge:
    Hi. I acquired a Galaxy Saturn Turbo that goes into xmit mode, xmit LED lights, but no output at all in any mode when monitoring on a radio right next to it. Nothing. It receives fine. Also, in the amp module on back, there are MRF454's in there. Those weren't factory, were they? Any clues? Thanks.