• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

looking for a jennings 10-250PF veritable capacitor 55kv

tunercars

Sep 12, 2012
looks like this
1721390395306.png

55 KV?

There's a glass one at Surplus Sales of Nebraska.

https://www.surplussales.com/VaccumVarCaps/VVC5.html

About halfway down the page, his stock # CVV-VMMHC-250-55.

2100 bucks. Down a bit and to the right is a ceramic 55KV cap, but max capacitance is 450pf. 2300 bucks.

No cheap options at this level of performance.

Since amplifiers that can produce a carrier of 500 KW only operate with 16 KV on the anode, what in the world was the original application for this capacitor?

Since amplifiers that can produce a carrier of 500 KW only operate with 16 KV on the anode, what in the world was the original application for this capacitor?

RF voltages need to be much higher than the normal applied plate voltage. We used to run 1 Kw AM transmitters with 2600 volts on the anode. RF voltage at the 50 ohm common point was around 225 volts however the rating of the tune capacitor in the transmitter itself as well as in the ATU was around 10,000 volts due to the reactance voltages present. Anode blocking caps were anything between 10,000 and 25,000 volts.

RF voltages need to be much higher than the normal applied plate voltage. We used to run 1 Kw AM transmitters with 2600 volts on the anode. RF voltage at the 50 ohm common point was around 225 volts however the rating of the tune capacitor in the transmitter itself as well as in the ATU was around 10,000 volts due to the reactance voltages present. Anode blocking caps were anything between 10,000 and 25,000 volts.
I understand that, that's why I figured this baby is for the largest tubes ever made. Unless there is another application I'm overlooking.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Bandit1:
    Hey guys I been out a while
  • @ Naysayer:
    ARRL paid ransom for their files back from s hack attack? Todays Amateur thread Reddit
  • @ Naysayer:
    In middle of an antenna job. Misplaced paperwork on purchased balun. It's a 1:1 current balun for a dipole that I disconnected a while ago. I purchased the balun from Canadian company where one input connection has a Red Dot. That for the center of coax, right?