• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland international Model 77-830 VS Uniden PRO 510XL

Brando3476

Jul 3, 2024
Hello! I'm new to The CB scene and I have 2 units to choose from that I picked up for cheap, the midland international model 77-830 or th3 Uniden PRO 50XL, I'm wondering which one is the better overall unit and why, also which one is easier to modify if necessary.

Hello! I'm new to The CB scene and I have 2 units to choose from that I picked up for cheap, the midland international model 77-830 or th3 Uniden PRO 50XL, I'm wondering which one is the better overall unit and why, also which one is easier to modify if necessary.
"Better" depends on what criteria you're using.

The 77-830 thanks to it's PLL02A chip is much easier to modify for additional frequency coverage. While I'm sure it's possible to modify it in terms of audio bandwidth, modulation, power output, etc, it's not something I've ever had a need to look into.

The 510XL is much more available if you need to cannibalize one for parts. Because they'res a lot more of them in wild, there's a better chance of finding documented mods. That being said, I don't know if there's any frequency mods for it.

Whichever one you choose the smart people here (meaning everyone besides me) should be able to steer you in the right direction for getting what you want out of the radio, as long as it's physically possible.

The 77-830 is my pick, only because love the old Cybernet circuit boards. The 510XL does have better transmit audio, because they use a different type of mic (Electret condenser) that has a wider audio range. The more common dynamic mics used on many other radios will not work. I do a number of mods on the 77-830. To name just one, I always change the mic jack wires inside to except all 4 pin Cobra dynamic mics. That allows me to experiment with many other mics, including power mics to suit my vocal taste. On the downside, the 77-830 is old and fat. Perfect for mounting under the dash in older cars and trucks, but too bulky for many other vehicles. It will also need some of the capacitors changed either now or in the near future. Make sure that mounting brackets and screws are included on whatever radio you choose. Unless you make your own, they're pricey nowadays. Look closely on the back of the radio for signs of rust or corrosion. If the cabinet screws look burred like someone used an improper sized tool, buyer beware....novice fingers have probably been messing around inside.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)
  • dxBot:
    deathstalker has left the room.