• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Midnight Special MF400

Smokinone

WDX-3820
Jun 24, 2020
Southern Nevada
I was wondering if the MF400 is a class AB1, AB2, C or something in between. I have done several search's and get different answers. I'm finding out that it is similar or the same as a Palomar 450 FET.
Any insight would be appreciated. I generally run SSB, like 90%, so I'm not too sure if this amp is compatible with all modes.
I lost the spec sheet, or can't find the one I thought I had...

thanks.

Here ya go. All I see different is the wound cores, MF400 has smaller core and less turns, I think.

Midnight Special MF400
MF400.jpg

Palomar HD 450 FET

Palomar_HD-450_FET.jpg

Mr Gatekeeper in this video says it's an AB type amp, so with his experience, and since no reply from X-F, I am going to assume it is an AB type amp.
I've read some threads on here that they're C type as well.
Also as far as the pics of the Palomar 450 FET and the MS, they are the same amp.
This amp and the SKYWAVE give me large jumps in SWR on the WM-1 while transmitting, while my blue Palomar/Cobra/Skipper amps from the XL350 to the XL 450 are not high in SWR, given the exact same setup.

Into a dummie load I get no reflection at all with any of the amps. Goofy RF, I know the WM-1 is a little more suseptible to RF than say a Dosie or other SWR/power meters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m