• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

New base set up

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Gentlemen, I'm getting ready to go back on the air here very soon and I've got a plan for most of it now.

So to get outside with coax is where I'm at now. The station location is literally clear across the house from where the attic entrance is so I'm ruling that one out. I've ordered Jefa tech 213 to go from the feed point to where the coax will enter the house. At that point there will be a grounded junction box before it goes inside through an exterior brick wall.

Not wanting to punch a rg213 sized hole through the brick so I would prefer to use a smaller diameter jumper going inside to the transmitter.

Specs look good for rg-400 but I've had no experience with it. I'd like some opinions or suggestions from the collective here.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

How long that jumper would be and how much power you gonna push through?
Mike
12 feet I'd say to have extra but probably shorter than that. It would be from the station to the exterior of the wall.

Power I'll probably run no more than a Texas star dx-500. So say 600 watts at most on a rare occasion.

Gentlemen, I'm getting ready to go back on the air here very soon and I've got a plan for most of it now.

So to get outside with coax is where I'm at now. The station location is literally clear across the house from where the attic entrance is so I'm ruling that one out. I've ordered Jefa tech 213 to go from the feed point to where the coax will enter the house. At that point there will be a grounded junction box before it goes inside through an exterior brick wall.

Not wanting to punch a rg213 sized hole through the brick so I would prefer to use a smaller diameter jumper going inside to the transmitter.

Specs look good for rg-400 but I've had no experience with it. I'd like some opinions or suggestions from the collective here.
The hole really isn't that much bigger. Why don't you want to drill a larger hole?

Reactions: BC Coyote
The hole really isn't that much bigger. Why don't you want to drill a larger hole?
Because I prefer not to make a big ass hole and would rather use something a little more manageable inside and around to the station. The thinner stuff I could use an existing not used fiber optic hole and it really is much nicer to work with inside. 213 doesn't give all that well in comparison.

As the thread started, am looking for suggestions to a good smaller coax to get outside but I've never used none of the smaller stuff.
I have a 12' run of rg-400 in my mobile. I have been slaming the door on it for a year and it is indestructible, the torch wont burn it.
I see the power handling on the 400 is nice and also like the teflon abilities. Price isn't awful either.

Because I prefer not to make a big ass hole and would rather use something a little more manageable inside and around to the station. The thinner stuff I could use an existing not used fiber optic hole and it really is much nicer to work with inside. 213 doesn't give all that well in comparison.

As the thread started, am looking for suggestions to a good smaller coax to get outside but I've never used none of the smaller stuff.

I see the power handling on the 400 is nice and also like the teflon abilities. Price isn't awful either.
I really don't think the difference in diameter is that much, but if you do, then so be it. I personally wouldn't use it in the application you are. Not because I don't dislike it, but because it is a small diameter cable and expensive by comparison to other coax. I use RG-400 vs RG-142 in VHF/UHF repeater cabs, when I need a tighter bend radius.

Maybe you can get your hands on some 1/4" superflex? You can use PL-259's on it with the correct reducer.

The difference in diameter between RG-400 and RG-213, is less than 1/4". Seems trivial to me, but that's me.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.