• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

New Galaxy DX2547 Radios Produce Buzzing Sound

CbRadiosPRONTO

Mar 21, 2014
USA
www.cradiospronto.com
Radio: Galaxy dx2547
Serial # Series 2401xxxx
Two tested: #24010008 & #24010041

I had a customer complain about a buzzing sound produced by a new Galaxy dx2547. It only does it when using the internal power supply, not when on DC. He returned it and I can confirm he the noise is there. plugged another new one in and it has the same issue. It’s very annoying. It’s enough to where I’ve taken down all of my ads until it is rectified. I’m awaiting a response from Galaxy.

The power supply is a Chinese knockoff of a Meanwell. In fact, instead of the normal MW logo, it says WM. See pic.

I replaced it with another really cheap Chinese power supply and the problem is fixed. However, the replacement power supply does not fit so that’s a no go.

Does anyone else have the new batch? Maybe it has been going on for longer than that. I sell quite a few and never noticed. I’ll be comparing the receive using my SINAD/HP RF Gen for further details.

Attachments

• IMG_5455.jpeg
    IMG_5455.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Wow
Reactions: AudioShockwav

That is radio side.
How about wall socket? Is it 3 or 2 wire?
N and PE bridged or separate?
In most cases SWPS is noisy when no proper grounding.
Mike

That is radio side.
How about wall socket? Is it 3 or 2 wire?
N and PE bridged or separate?
In most cases SWPS is noisy when no proper grounding.
Mike
*The L is plugged into the + lead at the 120VAC outlet
*The N is plugged into the Neutral lead at the 120VAC outlet
*The Ground is plugged into the Ground lead at the 120VAC outlet. The neutral and ground are not bonded at the outlet. They are bonded at the panel.

After you asking that, just to make sure to eliminate any question, I brought the radio to the electrical panel. By code, they now install an outlet next to the panel. I used this 3-wire outlet with the same result. This panel has two ground rods in the ground on the other side of the exterior wall. It’s also grounded to the water lines. The panel was installed a year ago. I’m just bringing this up to be thorough and answer any questions that haven’t yet been asked.

By code, the neutral and ground are not bonded together at the outlet, but rather, they’re bonded together at the box.

I also uploaded a pic of the jack on the back of the radio confirming the correct installation. Also, it shows the caps being used.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_5458.jpeg
    IMG_5458.jpeg
    868.7 KB · Views: 9
I have an update on this. I spoke with Galaxy. This was a limited run, Jan 2024. John wasn’t sure if they normally use MeanWell or the knockoff that’s presently in there. While on the phone, I opened a 3rd one from stock and it has the same problem.

I ordered 2 “Genuine” MeanWell power supplies; the 150 watt model and the 100 watt model. The 150 is the plug n play, original size match.

Results: The Genuine Meanwell 150w still creates noise. In fact, I noticed the buzz even if I unplugged the speaker; placing my ear against the power supply.

Results: Genuine MeanWell 100w resolved the issue 100%. Note: At first it buzzed but it was set to 12v. As soon as it was over 12.3~12.5vdc, the noise disappeared. The only issue is it is not the correct size and only one screw holds the power supply on the mounting bracket so additional steps have to be taken to resolve that.

When I say “genuine”, I’m assuming they’re genuine because the tag on the unit says MeanWell and I bought it though The MeanWell Store on Amazon.

I’ve take. Ads off eBay until I can varity galaxy has revolved the problem with the new batch that just came in.

Note: Apparently, the new models have an Amber frequency display and Amber channel display.

Unless Galaxy takes back the ones I have in stock, I’ll need to replace all of them with new power supplies. Yeah.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.