• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

New President Washington schematics anyone?

As others have said, it's a laughing matter anymore. Ranger was one of the last to still provide some of that info and even they stopped give out the secrets.
It's all part of the long term trend to make everything disposable. Can't fix it if you can't get any service data, so now you're going to have to buy a new one. Don't like it? Too bad, our competitor's product is the same as ours with a different badge and they're not handing out service data either.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
If you live in Colorado, you may have a chance with their new right to repair bill;

https://pirg.org/media-center/state...ove-broad-nation-leading-right-to-repair-law/
Colorado is like a different world. For the most part many of their laws make sense. The right-to-repair law should be a shouldn't be hard to throw together (or just copy Colorado's law). My first thinking was just do it in Washington, but almost nothing gets done there, plus every freaking manufacturer would put pressure, political support (or lack of), or good 'ol cash to kill it. So, state-by-state could work, except states like Texas, who have yet to pass anything that would benefit me or my family (we do have low gas prices). Whenever I hear the term "Thick as thieves", the good old boys in Austin come to mind. [jeez, this reply got long, fast. My fingers took a right in Denver and somehow ending in Texas. After a few raps on the desktop, they won't run off on the keyboard again. Or maybe it was the freak'n cat keeping us awake most of the night that put me in a foul mood......:sneaky:

Authorized dealers can get the info they need from ranger or president. One of the few advantages a real cb shop has over amazon selling bottom dollar anytones.

I miss the old days when the radio came with the schematic.
They are trying hard to keep service info and schematics out of reach anymore. If we can fix them ourselves and service them then that's less they sell. Or at least that's the reasoning behind it.

Reactions: 999
Actually the biggest reason now is cloning.
It really all started back when RCI cloned the uniden boards used in the 360fm export radios and blew up the market with EPT boards.
Now no one even wants to release a schematic fearing someone will copy the board.
They do release service data to authorised dealers, with the agreement to not disclose the info.
Kind of what it is now.

Jeff

Actually the biggest reason now is cloning.
It really all started back when RCI cloned the uniden boards used in the 360fm export radios and blew up the market with EPT boards.
Now no one even wants to release a schematic fearing someone will copy the board.
They do release service data to authorised dealers, with the agreement to not disclose the info.
Kind of what it is now.

Jeff
Which in itself is ridiculous. What's to prevent a competitor from buying a unit and reverse engineering it? I mean, other than that would take someone with engineering skills and the company would have to pay them.

Reactions: 999

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.