• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to this, Questions?

Lordgrumpie

Apr 11, 2011
NorthEast PA
I am studying for tech class license, researching radios, what is a good starter radio? what band do i want to be on? 2m, 70cm ETC.? and what would be a good matching base antenna? Mobile radios are less expensive so i would probably get one of those to use at home with a base antenna. Any help would be appreciated before i start spending money.

Depends entirely on what you want to do. As a Technician you have VHF and above, plus a bit of voice on 10 meters, and CW/data on 15, 40 and 80.

My recommendation is to get some beginner's books and such from the ARRL. Learn about radio while you're studying for your license, and then get the equipment YOU decide on - not what somebody else says you "should" have.

pappy.gif
I would recommend you jump over to Google and enter (with quotes): "your city, ST" "amateur radio." Google will return all the "Amateur Radio" Operator's in your city. Now, browse through the list and look for a Ham close by. Give him (or her) a call and let them know you are looking for advice. You will be surprised how receptive they will be to your new hobby. They will probably invite you over or at least give you the closest Ham Club. Don't be shy - you will be welcomed with open arms.

I always thought that the Yaesu FT-8900r was a bit of a funky radio because 6m and 10m are FM only. Most areas don't have many 10m or 6m FM repeaters to make use of.

A lot of technicians start out on 2 meters as there is typically a lot of activity. Finding out about out the repeaters in your area is an excellent suggestion to be sure. When choosing a radio, it helps if you can play with a few before buying. If there isn't a dealer in your area, find your local ham radio club and get some guys to show you their rigs. The reason for this is because some radios are more intuitive to certain people than others are. Everybody's preferences are a bit different.

To generalize, most technicians start out with some type of 2m/440 rig. Try to find something that is not that old. Used is OK, but be careful about buying something that is very outdated. New stuff is great if your budget allows, and you get a warranty.

Hope that helps.

I was going to say the same thing Mole. Before recommending a radio one should find out what the person wants to do or has available in his area as everyone is NOT the same. I would not recommend the FT-8900r at all for a newbie unless he lived in repeater heaven. In fact when it first came out my reaction was it was a stupid idea. With no 6m repeaters handy that band would be pretty much useless with the way the band opens so rarely. Yes it will become more often but by far most of the activity is on SSB. The same thing applies to the 10m band.10m FM can be a ball but it depends greatly on band openings and again if the band is open SSB is the way to go. That leaves 2m and 70cm the most used bands by far and one may as well buy a dual bander for that and look at a used HF rig for the future, especially one with 6m as well. I also wouldn't get a discone either but rather a GOOD dual band antenna like the Comet GP6-NC or similar like the Diamond X500HNA.

http://www.cometantenna.com/pdfs/GP-6NC.pdf

Hello Lordgrumpie, Well for your first Tech class lic radio,I would say just a plain two meter rig to start. But you may want to understand that the bug to get on the air quick that will over take you can cause you to make the wrong choice.
First concentrate on the Tech lic, and when you pass take the General in the same sitting. When you have passed for your first lic. your well on your way.
Now a new two meter mobile can be as low priced as $139.00 and up. A new HT will be about the same. But...(BUT) hold off on the HT(hand held) because you will want to be able to do more than an HT can provide. A mobile Two meter rig can be powered by a vehicle battery. Also on five watts output a mobile two meter can be powered from a power supply taken out of a defunked computer provided you stay on five watts out.
If you can afford a twenty to 35 amp power supply I would get one. Get the highest AMPerage supply you can afford. Twenty to 35 amps would give you full power on the rig.
Then again ask a local lic Ham as to what is arround you for repeater activity etc. Local Ham's will walk you thru and show you the way. As for buying new or used, there is one trap that you could fall into and that is buying too old of a rig that has no tones for keying a repeater. Then you would be stuck on simplex. The bug will bite you believe me. When you get your first Call sign you will have been bitten. Search out a local club and a few local Ham;s and you will be showed the way. And while its fresh in your mind take the General as soon as you finish the Tech because you are going to enjoy many years of radio. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Bueller?
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)