• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Newbie Help

cactusdave

Mar 8, 2022
i have a midland 5001z 40 radio. i want this as a home radio, what do i need to start this up...i think i have a few things that may or may not work, but not confident enough to spend the money.. i believe i need a indoor antenna, and a power source which everywhere i turn, i get different ones..from videos. Looking to get these things before gas goes up to 11 dollars a gallon. What are some of the better things without breaking the bank to get me started... all help appreciated and thnxs for your time

If you can't put up a base antenna get a mag mount and put it on an air-conditioning unit or something like that. Also a small cheap 12v 3-7 amp regulated power supply. If you are local I can donate

With a decent vertical 5/8 wave ground plane antenna you can reliably expect 20-30 miles range in wooded terrain. If you go with a magnetic antenna on an air conditioner, although it will work, I wouldn't expect more than 3 to 4 miles on a good day. I have seen people take the simplest approach and quickly lose interest in the hobby due to the poor results. If peace of mind is what you seek, get a good antenna in a good spot and use good coax right from the start. You are not just investing in performance, but also the instant confidence and future reliability that a cheap mag mount antenna can quickly rob you of.

Non-switching power supply, 10 amp to be safe, and as suggested a 5/8 wave antenna. Imax used to be a good quick and easy but I think they've made some changes so I'm not sure about them any more.
I personally like an aluminum antenna like the Penetrator 500 or Maco 5/8.
I would also say some quality mini 8 coax also as a minimum.
Looks like a nice radio, I've always liked Midland.
Good Luck

My Cousin tried to use one of those 5001’s mobile, and I was extremely unimpressed with the noise blanker. But, on a power supply it may very well do good. I too would suggest a 5/8 ground plane. A Maco V5/8 could do well. We have a few people locally that run them.

main-qimg-8ca86073afd13f65e7d1bba2152d76ef-c

dipole-2.JPG

dipole-antenna-e1542166259390.jpg

100_0269.JPG

Horizontal for DX/Long distance
Vertical for local chat.
One of each!!!!:cool::love:

i have a midland 5001z 40 radio. i want this as a home radio, what do i need to start this up...i think i have a few things that may or may not work, but not confident enough to spend the money.. i believe i need a indoor antenna, and a power source which everywhere i turn, i get different ones..from videos. Looking to get these things before gas goes up to 11 dollars a gallon. What are some of the better things without breaking the bank to get me started... all help appreciated and thnxs for your time
Posted this on Tuesday, has not been back since!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ David K. Aldridge:
    Hi. I acquired a Galaxy Saturn Turbo that goes into xmit mode, xmit LED lights, but no output at all in any mode when monitoring on a radio right next to it. Nothing. It receives fine. Also, in the amp module on back, there are MRF454's in there. Those weren't factory, were they? Any clues? Thanks.