• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Pal model E vfo died on me

demco satelite

Sep 3, 2024
No drive at all. Worked fine on my hy gain Vlll until today and now no drive at all. Like an 1/8 of a watt. That's it. Before it quit, it worked perfectly.

The hit parade for failures in that model would start with the trimpot that sets the output level. A drop of cleaner, and rocking the thumbwheel end-to-end a few times might bring it back.

The power supply inside has a regulator made from a metal-can NPN transistor, a zener diode on the base terminal and a resistor feeding current to the zener. This doesn't go bad all that often, but starting with the power supply is a pretty routine strategy.

Here is a closeup of the 10-Volt regulator circuit. The resistor near the center of the pic is R10 on the schematic. The left-hand end (in this pic) is the test point.

z1HnIf.jpg

Put the DC volt meter's negative probe into the black banana socket on the rear panel, the negative side of the external DC power hookup. Probe the left-hand end of R10. You should see around ten Volts DC.

Yeah, other things may be wrong, but this is where I would start.

Reactions: demco satelite

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.