• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

People getting over on techs...

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Got a Cobra 2000 GTL on the desk today. I was told by the owner that I had recently gone through it for him but he was having an issue with the low band frequencies.

Upon turning the radio on, I immediately noticed the meter lights were green. I never use colored lights in 2000's, I always use bright white LED's. But, I figured they must have changed them to green, no big issue.

I then removed the wood grain cover and the RF shield plate (metal plate covering main board). I immediately looked in a specific spots for 2 caps that I always replace in 2000's, C95 which I always replace, 10v blues caps I always replace, the AMC cap and larger cap beside it that I always replace, 2 resistors in mic circuit I always replace and the clarifier mod to make sure it was done completely.

All the caps above was never changed. The 2 resistors I normally change to 5.1k ohm each were 2.2k ohm instead (factory comes as 10k ohm). I never go lower than 5.1k ohm on those 2 resistors. The clarifier mod was not complete, they left R174 intact without a jumper. Plus the variable key is not my way of doing a variable key on a 2000.

Long story short, this is not a radio I've recently gone through or ever gone through. I feel he's trying to get free work on a friend's 2000 by claiming it's one I did for him. It's as though I'm not cheap enough on my prices. Hell, my prices are only for parts, gas and enough for cigs, that's it, but people want it cheaper by trying to fool me, as though I'm stupid. I know my work, I have my own trademarks to let me know if it's my work.

Dishonest buns...

Long story short, this is not a radio I've recently gone through or ever gone through. I feel he's trying to get free work on a friend's 2000 by claiming it's one I did for him. It's as though I'm not cheap enough on my prices. Hell, my prices are only for parts, gas and enough for cigs, that's it, but people want it cheaper by trying to fool me, as though I'm stupid. I know my work, I have my own trademarks to let me know if it's my work.

Dishonest buns...
I hope you confronted him about his BS and deserves to be ban from your shop forever. I had a portable welder and was doing it on the side but it didn't take me long to get tired of the cheapo s trying to chisel and complain about price. Some think the only ones that need to make money is themselves.

One of the things we are taught at work is to assume positive intent. He simply could be mistaken as to which radio it was? Does he have the ticket from when the work was done? Call him up and let him know that normal fees apply. If it's an honest mistake, no problem. If he starts himing and hawing, then he can come get it.

I contacted him on this issue and he finally fessed up. He had the gall to ask how I knew, I told him I have my trademarks in 2000's so I'll know if I've been in it before. Then on top of that gall, he wanted to know my trademarks, lol, the nerve of people. No I did not tell him.

I did warn him that if this happened again with him, then I'll spread his name and handle around to other techs to be weary of.

Look, I know it's tough out here these days, but it's tough on us all. Don't turn into politicians by ripping us off of our fare due. We must look out for one another.

I contacted him on this issue and he finally fessed up. He had the gall to ask how I knew, I told him I have my trademarks in 2000's so I'll know if I've been in it before. Then on top of that gall, he wanted to know my trademarks, lol, the nerve of people. No I did not tell him.

I did warn him that if this happened again with him, then I'll spread his name and handle around to other techs to be weary of.

Look, I know it's tough out here these days, but it's tough on us all. Don't turn into politicians by ripping us off of our fare due. We must look out for one another.
No way man, I'd send him on his way after that kind of shady stunt. A liar and a thief go hand in hand and not to be trusted. Those types of people are the absolute lowest kind of lifeforms.....
IMG_20240629_212933.gif

he wanted to know my trademarks
As if.

Decades ago, we worked out a way to get the "missing" channels when expanding Cobra 148GTL radios to cover between 27.415 and 27.445 without adding a third switch. A young guy dropped off his 148 to have this done, adding that he wanted to see how we pulled this off so he could copy it.

Bad move.

I took a handful of tiny glass 1N4148 diodes and put them across a 40-Amp power supply one by one. A tiny flash inside, and now it's an open circuit forever.

Took about five of them and wired them randomly across the binary inputs to the PLL chip, in addition to the channel mod he had requested.

Spoiler alert, our "two-switch" trick did not use any diodes, just a NPN transistor.

Never did hear back from that guy after he picked up the radio.

As if.

Decades ago, we worked out a way to get the "missing" channels when expanding Cobra 148GTL radios to cover between 27.415 and 27.445 without adding a third switch. A young guy dropped off his 148 to have this done, adding that he wanted to see how we pulled this off so he could copy it.

Bad move.

I took a handful of tiny glass 1N4148 diodes and put them across a 40-Amp power supply one by one. A tiny flash inside, and now it's an open circuit forever.

Took about five of them and wired them randomly across the binary inputs to the PLL chip, in addition to the channel mod he had requested.

Spoiler alert, our "two-switch" trick did not use any diodes, just a NPN transistor.

Never did hear back from that guy after he picked up the radio.

That's good.
That's real good, I would love to have been a fly on the wall when he got home and pulled the cover off of that.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Bueller?
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)