• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Presenting the reincarnation of the sl41 (stryker sr-75nc)

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Here it is boys! The new stryker sr-75nc which sure looks a whole like the former Palomar sl41 microphone. Hopefully it's an even better version of the former.
Screenshot_20240716_185407_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240716_185307_YouTube.jpg

Well I've got one coming my way :cool:! Video below. Same exact shell as the sl41 but with a different pcb inside. Once I get this one I'll do some side by side photos and share them here. I'm hoping this mic will shine with the anytone radios.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
A little closer look. Just for reference, the sl41 is missing the lip guard that was only held on by 3 little rubber pieces that didn't hold up. That is fixed with the stryker as the rubber lip guard is completely bonded to the grill. Outside they are only different by the labels, mic hanger button and microphone cable is quite thinner with the stryker.

The real difference is internally, completely different animal.

I didn't have a lot of time this evening but a quick check with the mic tester shows that it works. The tone control makes a difference that I'll be playing with later but like Matt at the radio garage noted, the gain control did not change anything so it will be visited again.

In the hand it feels good, decent weight, and doesn't feel hollow or cheap but I'll be completely honest, initial testing it doesn't seem to be one to wow me with the audio. Tomorrow it'll get plugged into a radio with audio monitoring through another radio with headphones to see what it can do.
20240720_213509.jpg20240720_170239.jpg20240720_170246.jpg

I do not think it matters if it is a physical clone only a performance clone. I like Dino Ferrari's but I am after the experince not a part for part clone. Same thing goes for a lot of other things from food, to rifles to experinces!

If it is sonicly good and durable I do not care about much else!

That said Palomar, Stryker, Magnum etc... do not make a darn thing themselve and to be fair I doubt they design a darn thing either!

China will design, adapt and build almost anything you want so long as you are willing to pay for it. They seldom even charge you anything to make modifications to existing products or to design a product specificly to your needs.

They are great to work with and often it is as if you are ordering al-carte! Just know they will cut cost's any chance they get, will not honor IP, and will take any design modification and ideas you offer and make them part of their line up!

I have had them modify generators and countless other things. Never a charge and 95% of the time the changes I asked for in any product end up becoming part of the regular inventory. Same thing with Taiwan I have had a lot of interaction with companies there over the last 3 decades and seldom any charge for modifications to existing designs and little to no cost for new development. In almost every case I saw those things enter into USA, Europe or Asian aviation or automotive industry as regular production items.

So professionaly nothing but good things to say! Personaly different story since as an individual I do not have representation in either country and not enough buying power to make anyone intersted in pandering to me.

China and Taiwan suffer most though from a lake of creativity and understanding of what the market wants and will want tomorrrow. They tend to copy what the market has wanted in the past and copy a complete design. They are not able to borrow a block design from one company, a cylinder head design from another, a transmission from another and a rear diff from yet another and put it all together in a package that works and is refined. They are getting better though all the time.

Some industries seem to be better at giving them a design requiement and then letting them do their own thing but like a lot of things in China it is hit and miss and the disparity from one company to another is HUGE!

In a perfect world I would be able to avoid China totaly and just do business with Europe and USA and forget the rest but no one wants to pay that price point!

Funny that 30 years latter the USA is starting to understand what it means tonot have a strong manufacturing base especially in semiconductors!

I tried to see if palomar would fix some issues on the sl41,

They never got fixed then the mic went off the market

So

I worked with Shawn, (STRYKER RADIOS) on this Mic for a long time we started this Project a few years ago

Features Different then the SL41

Better lip guard sl41 lip guard was 3 areas of soft rubber never held up well

Better Battery holder the sl41 battery holder was a big failure point

Adjustable tone / bass with a small screwdriver The SL41 was just a simple Jumper

Gain control again adjustable with a small screwdriver the Sl41 had a pot that you needed

A proper trimmer to adjust and many were stripping them out

Audio frequency from 100-8K so you can use your wide banded radios without having to buy a mixing board in your home or truck.

I tried to see if palomar would fix some issues on the sl41,

They never got fixed then the mic went off the market

So

I worked with Shawn, (STRYKER RADIOS) on this Mic for a long time we started this Project a few years ago

Features Different then the SL41

Better lip guard sl41 lip guard was 3 areas of soft rubber never held up well

Better Battery holder the sl41 battery holder was a big failure point

Adjustable tone / bass with a small screwdriver The SL41 was just a simple Jumper

Gain control again adjustable with a small screwdriver the Sl41 had a pot that you needed

A proper trimmer to adjust and many were stripping them out

Audio frequency from 100-8K so you can use your wide banded radios without having to buy a mixing board in your home or truck.
You perfectly nailed all the weak points of the sl41 and the improvements are obvious. The only one thing that could be but hopefully won't be an issue is the ptt switch. The advantage of the original was how common it is being that it's used in the current 636 or rk56. Not a deal breaker by any means, just an observation that may not matter if the switch lives a long life.
I understand it was most probably a needed change with design and considering in all other aspects it's superior to the sl41.

Reactions: davew41

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Bandit1:
    Hey guys I been out a while
  • @ Naysayer:
    ARRL paid ransom for their files back from s hack attack? Todays Amateur thread Reddit
  • @ Naysayer:
    In middle of an antenna job. Misplaced paperwork on purchased balun. It's a 1:1 current balun for a dipole that I disconnected a while ago. I purchased the balun from Canadian company where one input connection has a Red Dot. That for the center of coax, right?