• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Radio squeal........

A

alstar80j

I have a Uniden PC78 Elite. Running alone the radio is fine..... As soon as I hook it to a 50 watt kicker in the truck, it squeals when talking. Have adjusted the input 1 to 3.5 watts and the result is the same. Somebody said that it might be the mike. How can this be if it does OK without the kicker using the same 636L ??? Traveling to different forums looking for info. on this radio and an answer to my problem. Have not found one yet. Anybody have a clue ??? I know this is a tempermental breed of radio, but there has to be an answer. HELP :?:

just for the fun of it, try turning the mic gain way down when u have the kicker on... u may have turned the wattage down for the box, but u might be over modulating it..

1 watt should run that little 50 pretty good , many times it helps that both radio and amp are grounded well ? (frame) ...oink oink with a non-powered NC ? Hmmm ? you might also check your connections from antenna and patch cords (259'ers) How's the amp hooked up ? SWRs ? I've seen these problems many times before and it didn't matter weather one turned the modulation down or not (alls that did was take away the oink oink but it also took away the audio as well) I'd give grounding a good look at as well as maybe a frail in one of your connections . Good luck to you,

Uh, you're not the guy who tied the radio's power leads directly to the linear's power leads, are you?

Since this trouble tends to be caused by poor filtering on the linear's power leads, it stands to reason you only have the trouble with the linear running. It only leaks feedback into the radio's power socket when it's keyed. Barefoot, there's no problem because the amplifier is off.

Separate power leads (BOTH pos and neg) for the amplifier, run all the way to the battery tends to cure this. You just have to remember to place a fuse or breaker AT the tap-off point for the positive wire, placed CLOSE to where you tap in. This is to protect the wire. The amplifier has its own fuse, but if that hot wire gets pinched, and shorts to ground, the ADDED fuse at the tap-off point protects the vehicle from burning to the ground.

Odds are that you can continue to use the same hookup you already have to power the radio, so long as the linear has its OWN, SEPARATE hot and ground BOTH running to the battery.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m