• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Ranger Longhorn Superior N6. How2 convert.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Holy Moly!

The Ranger Longhorn Superior N6.

Only thing longer than the name is the price. I'll leave looking that up to anyone who is interested. I don't sell these, I only convert, er "un-cripple" them.

There is a short red wire on the solder side of the pc board. No picture, because you don't want to mess with it. It powers the clarifier. Oddly enough, the clarifier controls transmit and receive together, so no mod is needed. Kinda like a real ham radio.

The radio is 'crippled' to skip 11 meters by clipping a resistor on the back of the channel-selector circuit board. This makes it legal to import and distribute.

Here's the wide view.

pSKYMB.jpg

Here's the resistor in question.

8H7R3t.jpg

Sometimes they just clip the long lead and there is enough slack to just lap-solder the ends back together. This one was different and had a long gap in the cut lead wire.

2eOyXd.jpg

Rather than try to remove the resistor to replace it altogether, I chose to unsolder only the short lead and replace it with a longer piece of bare wire.

OuGZIF.jpg

Looked like a lot less trouble than removing that resistor.

There are some oddities in this one. Looks as if obtaining enough of the old through-the-hole parts to populate this circuit board is no longer possible. The tiny green glass-epoxy standup boards here are adapters to use surface-mount transistors and diodes that can be bought in quantity to replace the old parts that had two or three wire legs.

Pkr7eO.jpg

Makes me wonder how long before these tiny adapters start to show up on fleabay.

z3MaRv.jpg

The radio portion of this monster is the "X9" model. The setup here with the RT1 and RT6 incognito MOSFETs sounds okay on sideband, but only with the "high" button on the front popped out, running "barefoot". Gets you over 100 Watt peaks AM if the AMC is turned up, and about 70 Watts PEP SSB without flattopping.

W7iOX4.jpg

The first of the X9 radios I saw sounded awful on sideband. They seem to have figured that out in the meantime.

But only with the 400-Watt amplifier switched off with the front-panel pushbutton.

The power amplifier will flattop with this much drive from the radio. But that's not what makes the 400-Watt side sound terrible.

uUjt04.jpg

There is insufficient bias on either the two 9530 driver transistors.

kiLeFj.jpg

Or the four final transistors.

IDMZoF.jpg

Or both.

Sounds fine on AM with 400-Watt peaks.

The ERF9530 wasn't what I expected to see in this thing. I'd still like to know what the part number was when the transistor factory made them. Just the same, what's wrong with this picture?

The radio is driving roughly 100 Watts peak into two of these 9530 transistors. And it takes two of them to driver four more and get 100 Watt peaks per transistor from that stage?

Makes it appear that the ERF9530 has a power gain between two and four, maybe? Not the kind of multiplying factor I expect from a RF transistor. Hmmm.

Had me wondering about a radio made in Malaysia with transistors made most-likely in China, relabeled in the USA and then shipped to a factory in Malaysia?

Sounds unlikely.

UXHeyI.jpg

Eric has abandoned the "EKL" name brand and uses the letter "P" inside a shield outline as the Palomar logo.

Does lead me to suspect that he's finally buying enough of them to have the factory print his number on them before they leave the transistor factory. If you buy enough of them they'll print whatever you like on the part. This practice has been around forever, typically called a "house" number. The idea is to keep all replacement part sales "in-house" by removing the industry-standard identification from the part.

That would seem to make more sense. The Palomar type number and logo get printed on the part when it's made and shipped directly to Melaka, Malaysia where RCI's factory is located.

The letter at the beginning of the serial number indicates the factory where the radio originates. "M" is Malaysia. "V" is Vietnam. All the radios with Ranger's name on the outside seem to be coming from Malaysia. The Galaxy and Connex brand radios RCI makes are coming from Vietnam.

4zK8Pv.jpg

One last rant concerns a trimpot that is marked VR18, "SSB Limits". I call it the WTF control. Can't figure out what it's meant to accomplish. Just garbles up the sideband transmit audio unless you turn it full clockwise. It has to have some reason to be there, but I don't see it. The actual sideband ALC control is the white trimpot immediately to the left of VR18, marked VR14. Also says "SSB power" but the "SSB" is obscured behind the pot seen from this angle.

FZLoDi.jpg

VR18 gets set like any other ALC control, to keep the voice peaks spiky-looking on the 'scope, below the flat top level.

I won't bad-mouth this model. Too much like biting the hand that feeds me. But no design is perfect, so caveat emptor.

Last edited:

Nine hundred bucks today works back to just under 155 bucks in 1975. The 23-channel Cobra 29 we sold at the time retailed for about $170.
We can thank China and Japan for that. When they really started ramping up the import of consumer goods to North America in the 1980's it forced competition in a lot of industries (like electronics) that didn't really exist prior to that. The 60's - 70's electronics industry here was more like an old boys club.
Had the Chinese and Japanese never started importing radios here, we would likely be paying $900 today for the American-made equivalent of a Cobra 29, and thousands for a U.S. made export radio. I'll refrain from opinionating on what the quality of those radios would be..........

Anybody that spends that kind of money on a Ranger radio is certifiably insane.
Stop insulting my people. Should truck drivers have a ic-7300 doing a fraction of the power while they try to change from channel 4 to channel 19 on the big vfo? Maybe the ftx100 would be a better choice for just a few dollars more in the big tractor.

Should truck drivers have a ic-7300 doing a fraction of the power while they try to change from channel 4 to channel 19 on the big vfo
Not sure how that relates to the subject at hand. There are dozens of decently priced radios out there that are perfect for truck drivers and can be had for under $300.
Ranger radios have a spotty track record. Why spend three times more than you need to for a less reliable radio ?!?! It's just simple economics, nothing insulting about it.

Reactions: w9cll
Not sure how that relates to the subject at hand. There are dozens of decently priced radios out there that are perfect for truck drivers and can be had for under $300.
Ranger radios have a spotty track record. Why spend three times more than you need to for a less reliable radio ?!?! It's just simple economics, nothing insulting about it.
It's a certain niche, unless you've been a truck driver you wouldn't understand. I understand what you mean completely but I also see it from the trucker perspective.

It's truly a trucker thing, mostly Am as most don't practice ssb. If you ain't got a big radio such as a Galaxy or Ranger you ain't got the rights to brag or you ain't breaking through the pile ups.

I get it, I've owned many a galaxy, Ranger and connex and also been truck driving for almost 28 years now.

Holy Moly!

Only thing longer than the name is the price. I'll leave looking that up to anyone who is interested. I don't sell these, I only convert, er "un-cripple" them.

There is a short red wire on the solder side of the pc board. No picture, because you don't want to mess with it. It powers the clarifier. Oddly enough, the clarifier controls transmit and receive together, so no mod is needed. Kinda like a real ham radio.

The radio is 'crippled' to skip 11 meters by clipping a resistor on the back of the channel-selector circuit board. This makes it legal to import and distribute.

Here's the wide view.

pSKYMB.jpg

8H7R3t.jpg

Sometimes they just clip the long lead and there is enough slack to just lap-solder the ends back together. This one was different and had a long gap in the cut lead wire.

2eOyXd.jpg

Rather than try to remove the resistor to replace it altogether, I chose to unsolder only the short lead and replace it with a longer piece of bare wire.

OuGZIF.jpg

There are some oddities in this one. Looks as if obtaining enough of the old through-the-hole parts to populate this circuit board is no longer possible. The tiny green glass-epoxy standup boards here are adapters to use surface-mount transistors and diodes that can be bought in quantity to replace the old parts that had two or three wire legs.

Pkr7eO.jpg

Makes me wonder how long before these tiny adapters start to show up on fleabay.

z3MaRv.jpg

The radio portion of this monster is the "X9" model. The setup here with the RT1 and RT6 incognito MOSFETs sounds okay on sideband, but only with the "high" button on the front popped out, running "barefoot". Gets you over 100 Watt peaks AM if the AMC is turned up, and about 70 Watts PEP SSB without flattopping.

W7iOX4.jpg

The first of the X9 radios I saw sounded awful on sideband. They seem to have figured that out in the meantime.

But only with the 400-Watt amplifier switched off with the front-panel pushbutton.

The power amplifier will flattop with this much drive from the radio. But that's not what makes the 400-Watt side sound terrible.

uUjt04.jpg

kiLeFj.jpg

IDMZoF.jpg

Or both.

The ERF9530 wasn't what I expected to see in this thing. I'd still like to know what the part number was when the transistor factory made them. Just the same, what's wrong with this picture?

The radio is driving roughly 100 Watts peak into two of these 9530 transistors. And it takes two of them to driver four more and get 100 Watt peaks per transistor from that stage?

Makes it appear that the ERF9530 has a power gain between two and four, maybe? Not the kind of multiplying factor I expect from a RF transistor. Hmmm.

Had me wondering about a radio made in Malaysia with transistors made most-likely in China, relabeled in the USA and then shipped to a factory in Malaysia?

Sounds unlikely.

UXHeyI.jpg

Eric has abandoned the "EKL" name brand and uses the letter "P" inside a shield outline as the Palomar logo.

Does lead me to suspect that he's finally buying enough of them to have the factory print his number on them before they leave the transistor factory. If you buy enough of them they'll print whatever you like on the part. This practice has been around forever, typically called a "house" number. The idea is to keep all replacement part sales "in-house" by removing the industry-standard identification from the part.

That would seem to make more sense. The Palomar type number and logo get printed on the part when it's made and shipped directly to Melaka, Malaysia where RCI's factory is located.

The letter at the beginning of the serial number indicates the factory where the radio originates. "M" is Malaysia. "V" is Vietnam. All the radios with Ranger's name on the outside seem to be coming from Malaysia. The Galaxy and Connex brand radios RCI makes are coming from Vietnam.

4zK8Pv.jpg

One last rant concerns a trimpot that is marked VR18, "SSB Limits". I call it the WTF control. Can't figure out what it's meant to accomplish. Just garbles up the sideband transmit audio unless you turn it full clockwise. It has to have some reason to be there, but I don't see it. The actual sideband ALC control is the white trimpot immediately to the left of VR18, marked VR14. Also says "SSB power" but the "SSB" is obscured behind the pot seen from this angle.

FZLoDi.jpg

VR18 gets set like any other ALC control, to keep the voice peaks spiky-looking on the 'scope, below the flat top level.

I won't bad-mouth this model. Too much like biting the hand that feeds me. But no design is perfect, so caveat emptor.

one thing that is off here is thinking the amp section is a 2 driving 4 its not set up that way its set up in a straight 6 configuration the radio is driving all straight 6 together chris will even tell you that he and Ranger made a deal to make this radio together he makes the amp section for it this radio also has a SWR protection circuit he has demonstrated it by unplugging the coax and using it for about 5 minutes keyed and then plugging it back in to either a dummy load or antenna and showing that it was not hurt some people will say things not favorable about radios like this or the cost of radios like this but what they seem to forget is your getting a radio and an amplifier sure you could get a ic-7300 or kenwood or Yaesu but they only do 25w am and 100-200w SSB the 200w models can cost $3,000-$16,000 they both have their market for sure but where are people mostly going to be talking when buying these radios without a ham ticket why spend that kind of money for bands most people will never use and to only talk 25w am factor in the cost of a new 4pill amplifier and the cost of 6pill amplifier now the cost of a AM/SSB/FM radio to drive either one your going to have way more into it than buying one of these radios the draw back is heat for sure the newer models Ranger is putting out now has fans to pull the heat out of the case and vented covers should have been doing that all along but better late than never and as long as the radios are set up properly they don't flattop or sound bad but sure if you get into them without a tone generator scope and spectrum analyzer and start making adjustments people can do a real number on any radio

Holy Moly!

Here's the wide view.

pSKYMB.jpg

8H7R3t.jpg

2eOyXd.jpg

OuGZIF.jpg

Pkr7eO.jpg

z3MaRv.jpg

W7iOX4.jpg

uUjt04.jpg

kiLeFj.jpg

IDMZoF.jpg

Or both.

Sounds unlikely.

UXHeyI.jpg

4zK8Pv.jpg

FZLoDi.jpg

just a heads up this is from chris That controls the maximum output power on SSB It literally adjusts the voltage, going to the drivers separate from the ALC circuit which controls the limiting of the modulation on SSB Almost every radio on the market that is high power has that control nowadays by the way also said combiners are three-way and not two-way that's how you know it's not a 2x4 but is a straight 6

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.