• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI2995DXHP, latest and greatest. As always.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So here's the latest, greatest 2995 radio. A model number that's been made and sold for 23 or 24 years, best I remember.

Previously there was the "DXCF" suffix, as in "Cooling Fan". It had been an extra-cost accessory, and this model made it a stock feature.

Now we have the "RCI2995DXHP". This one arrived to be uncrippled and cover the complete frequency range outside the two ham bands.

MawnCr.jpg

First thing that caught my eye was the part number on the shipping carton. Never noticed the word "TURBO" embedded in the carton's stock number. Quirky. Never noticed that before.

HqEXif.jpg

The first product built by RCI that had the linear strapped to the back was the Galaxy Saturn Turbo, around 30 years ago or nearly.

No "RT" components of any kind on the radio circuit board. Just a single IRF520, this one made by Siliconix. Used to be an American company.

t6Itiz.jpg

The main circuit board hasn't changed much. Instead of a small white sticky label to show what model the pc board is to used for, just some Sharpie mark.

9GDLKi.jpg

Ever since Y2K or so, the serial number on a radio built by RCI has a letter at the beginning. It indicates the country where the radio was built. Every new radio we see with the RCI name on it is coming from Malaysia, like this one. New radios with the Galaxy and Connex names have serial numbers that begin with the letter "V" as in Vietnam. It's worth remembering that 30-plus years ago when RCI's plant in Melaka, Malaysia was getting their feet under them they had quality issues. Took a few years, but they cleaned up their act. Seems to me the Vietnam facility is having the same "teething" issues with quality control. Just seems to be no mistake that RCI's name brand radios are made only in the plant with decades of experience. The new guys in Vietnam are building radios with "client" brand names on them.

C7iNfL.jpg

Hmmmm.

I didn't tear the radio down to see what's in the linear amplifier. Not a part of this job, cutting it over to full coverage for a new-radio dealer.

I can confirm it will show over 200 Watts PEP on AM with the limiter turned up. Sideband will sound a lot better turned down to 150 or 170 Watts PEP.

Still a bit meaner than the previous incarnations.

Evolution never stops.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Length on matching stubs is critical...Length of rods is part of the overall antenna...Would appear antenna is too Long...same on Both Polarities or different?
  • @ Crawdad:
    Here's a thought: Could the length of the SS welding rod need to be different than what the broken rod(s) were due to a different Velocity Factor of SS?
  • @ Jim5570091:
    Close to the same. Thats the rout I was going. But needed a second opinion. Thanks cranking the hazer up and down testing was getting to an old man. Upper 90s here. Cheers 297 The red dog north Alabama.
  • @ Jim5570091:
    Maybe. I wasn’t impressed with just clamping the shield wire to the boom with a hose clamp. I built a l bracket with so239 female hubs. I posted a picture on the recent gallery’s.
  • @ Jim5570091:
    Well I cut the matching stubs down 1 inch at a time from about 20” down to 6”. Still no real changes.