• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Silicone on outdoor RF connections.

Shockwave

Sep 19, 2009
Is this an appropriate place to cry about blowing up the 180° phasing cable on your Yagi's T match? It turns out sealing the ends of this cable with silicone, was appropriate for 12 years, but not 13! Corrosion between the Silicon and the aluminum or copper metals, caused this seal to fail over time.

Once moisture got in, the Corona Arc turned the connection into a 0.1 ohm short. Silicone may not be the long-term solution for these applications. To make a long story short, I am now experimenting with a marine grade sealant by 3M called 5200. I'm told it already passes the microwave oven test, meaning it is a good insulator to RF.

Is this an appropriate place to cry about blowing up the 180° phasing cable on your Yagi's T match? It turns out sealing the ends of this cable with silicone, was appropriate for 12 years, but not 13! Corrosion between the Silicon and the aluminum or copper metals, caused this seal to fail over time.

Once moisture got in, the Corona Arc turned the connection into a 0.1 ohm short. Silicone may not be the long-term solution for these applications. To make a long story short, I am now experimenting with a marine grade sealant by 3M called 5200. I'm told it already passes the microwave oven test, meaning it is a good insulator to RF.
I wouldn't use it. In most cases, silicone (RTV), contains acetic acid. No bueno......I have been using DB Prods Vapor Wrap (butyl rubber mastic tape) for at least 40 years. Applied correctly, never a problem.

Reactions: Shockwave
I have had silicone last for 20 years and counting. You MUST wrap the connector in a GOOD electrical tape first to avoid any corrosion that may occur from the solvents in the silicone as well as it makes it super simple to open the connection later. Just cut down thru the silicone/tape and peel it back. Nothing lasts forever but like I said, 20 years and still counting on some of my connections.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.