• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Simple antennas for CB without confusion

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
There isn't much to report on this thread, but I nevertheless want to make a very definitive statement about antenna building from the stand point of simply getting on the air.

There is no real mystery to getting an antenna together and getting on the air, and having a suitable system for getting out there, DX or local.

Certainly some antennas are complex for beginners.
On some bands they are incredibly large, while on others quite small and manageable.

Because most of the inquiries about putting up a quick inexpensive, and easy alternative to purchasing a manufactured branded antenna seems to come from the license free CB group I will say that getting on the air quickly and easily is a foregone fact. It is not complicated.

A whole lot of discussion about how and why antennas work goes on. Some is misleading. Some is true. Others are just discussion fodder used to thrash out the facts of antenna theory. None of it changes the simple fact that it is not complicated to construct a working antenna that will work as well as many more expensive models. Whether you understand why an antenna works or not does not change that it will work if properly made.

I believe learning about them is a worthy pursuit. I do not think not knowing prevents enjoying radio until you have learned more.

There is a ton of info about simple antennas. If others wish to slip in their suggestions it will help the newbie.

1. Dipole -
the simplest is to peel the cover off an end of a coax for 9", pull the center conductor from within the braid, spread the two new conductors apart. This is a dipole.
It is tuned by folding the two outer ends back on themselves equally.
dipole03.gif

2. Coaxial dipole.

Peel the coax cover and braid back from the end of a coax 9' and cut it away. measure down from the peeled part of the coax where cover and braid now begins another 9'. At this point wrap 5 wraps of your coax around a 4" PVC coupler and secure the wraps with either tape or cable ties to keep it there. This one is also tuned by adjusting the length of the upper end.

CoaxDipole_zps87f9f07e.jpg

These two require little to nothing more than a long piece of coax to make. The first is easiest hung horizontally from its two ends, and the second vertically.

There are numerous other types that I believe are quick, easy, and effective.

BTW, thanks to those whose drawings I used.

Fixed it, LY. It will be on a 4" PVC form, or similar non-conducting form.

I was thinking about 8 turns on a 8" dia. Free space electrical taped circular loop according to another Ham/Guru. Any truth to that?

I thought about doing this type of simple antenna you described at one time. However, this type antenna would have to be rope supported in one config or another.

Coil forms! Lots of possibilities there, just take a little imagination. How about a 2 liter plastic bottle, or a 1 liter one? A styfoam cup (44 oz size)?
How about zip-tying the ends of that coil to whatever you wound it on, or gluing it? Or just tape the coil in the right shape.
What you wind that coil on, the former, isn't critical at all...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
Coil forms! Lots of possibilities there, just take a little imagination. How about a 2 liter plastic bottle, or a 1 liter one? A styfoam cup (44 oz size)?
How about zip-tying the ends of that coil to whatever you wound it on, or gluing it? Or just tape the coil in the right shape.
What you wind that coil on, the former, isn't critical at all...
- 'Doc

Yeah,if my cat will hold still long enough I'll use her. :love:

Nice one, Homer.
(y)

Using a 4" coil isn't a coax problem if it is RG-58 coax.
So, five turns on a 4" former for the 11m/CB band should fix ya right up.

You can also waste less coax by using a couple pieces of zip cord from an old extension cord to make the dipole.
Lots of materials are possible, as Homer brought up.

Last edited:
I agree, Doc. I have used nearly all of those. And, Robb, when I use a thicker coax than RG58, I choose a 6" diameter coil.

As for the zip/extension cord, I have a portable made of that I often carry on vacation with me.

corddipole02_zpsa97a7c83.jpg

Cutting off the female block of a 9' household extension cord and spreading the two conductors results in an instant dipole. Connect the feedline to the two male prongs of the cord, and tune by turning back each end of the wires equally.
Put a female cord receptacle on the end of the feedline and plug your dipole in it for easy portability. If it were warm and no snow and ice on the ground I'd demonstrate these outside.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    C'mon let me take you on a Sea Cruise! (Maybe there is someone to talk to out there?)
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Just for the Halibut.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Seems to be dead on the radio lately. I don't know if the conditions are horrible, or more likely my weak antennas. I may head up in the mountains on Wednesday and see if reception / transmission is improved.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Bueller?
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.