• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Snap-On it ain't but it does the job

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
I figured this was useful enough to share in hopes that it helps save the faceplate of at least one classic radio out there.

As im sure many of you have experienced, removing the knobs from an old radio can really test one's finger strength, and patience.

how many of us have reached for a small flat-head to use as a pry bar?

Well this is something i came up with many years ago and i have to say that i haven't had one radio get damaged by or prove too tough for this tool.

it's so simple you'll kick yourself. i did.

this one uses 22ga. wire, but making them in a couple of different gauges is helpful.

be sure to solder the ends of the wire together.

IMG_20240725_131739_HDR.jpg

now just slide the wires behind the knob you need to pull. sliding back and forth like a saw is the best way.

then slide the cable ties in to keep the wires in place.

IMG_20240725_132003.jpg

now just grab the two ends by the loops and pull!

hope this helps someone.
LCR

I figured this was useful enough to share in hopes that it helps save the faceplate of at least one classic radio out there.

As im sure many of you have experienced, removing the knobs from an old radio can really test one's finger strength, and patience.

how many of us have reached for a small flat-head to use as a pry bar?

Well this is something i came up with many years ago and i have to say that i haven't had one radio get damaged by or prove too tough for this tool.

it's so simple you'll kick yourself. i did.

this one uses 22ga. wire, but making them in a couple of different gauges is helpful.

be sure to solder the ends of the wire together.

View attachment 69553

now just slide the wires behind the knob you need to pull. sliding back and forth like a saw is the best way.

then slide the cable ties in to keep the wires in place.

View attachment 69554

now just grab the two ends by the loops and pull!

hope this helps someone.
LCR
I use dental floss!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.