• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So I serached the internet and zero Anytone Aries II video's with less than 12-15w carrier and 50 Watt pep

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So not only could I not find any video's showing the radio's modulation charteristics at low power but zero NPC video's showing modulation envelope at low power!

Given that the radio tops out at 50 watts in this age of 100+ watt radios you would think someone would say " I should demonstrate the NPC function at the lowest power setting and show it's modulation envelop out of the box and after tweaking the service menu!"!!!! The next obvious thing would be to look to sell a 2-5 pill amp with it in this configuration!!!

I think the reason we do not see this sort of video is that the radio is so cheap and so easy to tune through the service menu that almost everyone that sells, repairs, modifies and aligns radios is afraid this radio will scavenge radio's with a higher profit margin either from the radio cost itself or the modifications people will ask for.

Unless the video is behind a paywall or membership wall I have not seen anyone demonstrate the NPC function with lowest output carrier and modest forward swing! Not a single one!

Anyone that is even has an IQ bellow 73 that has ever followed or performed NPC mod, MMM mod, Aysmod mod, direct injection knows that the radio's carrier power if being used and not bypassed has to be turn down to almost nothing to get just modest forward swing and you need several stages of amplification. That is why later version of MMM and Asymod bypass the radio's built in audio and rf amplification stages! This is why you would have Cobra 29LTDS and 25LTDS doing 1/4 watt carrier and a modest forward swing and then dasiy chained amplifiers.

Things kind of chaged in a major way when you got radio's like the Stryker 955 because it had so much headroom available you could implament a lot more inside the radio. The Stryker 955 is a stupidly expensive radio though and that is before you have any modifications done to it we are not talking 1990's Cobra 25, 29 or even 148 money at this point!

If you can get the NPC to sound decent at 1w swinging to 4w(???) you could drop that into a cheap 1970-2000 amp for not a lot of money and have a lot of performance for not much money! It would be like building a 350HP small block in the 1990's for a case of beer and $400 in parts and machining! I am sure it would be easier to get working well on SSB but that is not the point.

I suspect this is the red headed step child that had the cigerette burns and self esteem issues because people really do not want to like this affordable and well loaded little radio!

Think about it...6 bands, Hi/Low,+10KC, NPC, NRC, Echo, Talk Back, AM/FM/SSB, Freq, Display, 50 watts , actualy stable on SSB......It is not that long ago this would have been a very expensive radio from Galaxy or Connex! You still to this day can not purchase a Galaxy or COnnex that is stable on SSB at all let alone on with a huge amp slung under it that is SSB stable!!!

You still can not purchase anything from Galaxy/Ranger that has NRC and NPC out of the box. I would like to see eSSB and DSP but not holding my breath!

No braging rights though for anyone on air to say they are running a cheap Anyton Aries II I bet most pass it off as anything but! Just like all the losers that claim they are talking on Cobra 2000's but are really talking on pimped out Cobra 148GTL's, Uniden Grants and President Washingtons! Sounding good is not enough you have to have the Golden Goose. That is why you had Browning Golden Eagle VFO mod's to make radio's sound like Golden Eagles on keyup. That is why we have clone cars in the Muscle Car hobby and all the lies and cheats and fakes!!! It is not just about the money it is also about bragging rights! You see it with restamps and counterfiet parts for Corvettes as well!

While this radio I am sure is far from perfect it is in many ways like getting 85% of the Mustang or Cormaro's performance in a $12,000 car. No one is going to like that except the pure driver enthusist that just wants a car that accelerates well, turns and brakes well for the experince of it all. Everyone else will shun it like a Biblical leper! If you are lucky you get a cult following.

I have held off on getting one now since it came out but the price has gone up a good $30 even when bundled with an antena so figured I should get one before they go up even more or they dissapear fromt he market!

For the record my Uniden Grant XL from about 1998 that was stolen out of the Western Star I was driving at the time cost me $149 from Coppers. I got the Radioddity GT40 with magnet mount bundle for $169 before tax and shipping I think it was $180 all in. THis was just a few days ago. Sure the audio is going to be more like HR2510 than a Uniden Grant XL but given the the talk back, echo, NPC Mod, 480 channels +10kc mod and the 50 watts $180 is a steal in 2024. If you add in inflation it is even better deal!

Given the vintage and modern CB and amateur gear I own I needed this like I need an extra hole in my head but I could not say no! LOL... N+1 strikes again!

Oh I turned 51 today and I got this as one of many low priced gifts for myself. Instead of spending big anymore with two sons out 3 still in college I get myself 3-4 smaller gifts for my birthday starting a few months out!

If you like headphones for listening to music you owe it to yourself to get a pair of FIIO JT1's!!! They are $69 or $79 on Amazon and they are easily equal to what would have cost you $300 just 4 or 5 years ago in headphones. The bass is good and the mids and highs are good. They are very dynamic and well ballanced! They are not diffacult to drive at all so no need for a 50 watt per channel headphone amp! If you want audiophile levels of headphones these are not for you but if you want hi end hifi enthuasist headphones these are great! I like them better than my Grado SR60 headphones that cost me $300 like 5 years ago!

They are not Planar head phones or IEM's but they punch way above their weight class. I could not have dreamed of such headphones in the 1980's or 1990's that did not have a 1/4 jack and weight as much as my head and cost $1000's in the 1980's and 1990's!

If you have a kid that likes hi end sound and takes car of things especially for use at home these are fantastic. They sounded great just pluging them into my CREATIVE powered desk top speaker. Let me tell you the headphone amp in those powered speakers is not very good so for these to sound as good as they did in that setting is amazing. I listened to everything from 50 Cent to Nora Jones to Prince to Fleetwood Mac to Miles Davis all sounded great! I pluged them into my intergrate amplifier and WOW!!!

FYI - Scott's Radios (and others) on YouTube have plenty of videos showing the ARES 2 waveforms and alignment (carrier down to 1 watt). A very clean 100% AM modulation is what you will see. The AM performance is excellent, but only up to 100%. Anything over 100%, or use of the firmware "NPC" feature, is not clean on AM in the ARES 2 and is not recommended. SSB and FM performance is excellent no matter how you look at it.
I use mine mostly on 10m SSB and FM (just for fun), and it does a great job.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)
  • dxBot:
    deathstalker has left the room.