• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

[Solved] Cobra 140 GTL Takes 3 seconds to "Stabilize" on SSB.

doffo

Oct 14, 2012
Hello,
I got a couple of Cobra 140 GTL radios that are behaving this same exact way. 1st one has been full recapped. 2nd one has its stock capacitors in it except 2. Both have had the AM regulator changed out to an NTE-152. I did unlock the clarifier on both radios. Removed a leg off D36 and R137, and located the wires on the clarifier and put them to their right spots. You can slide up and down and it follows. What happens is that when you key up, it will take the radio some time to stabilize, about 3 seconds, then it is ok. I notice on AM it takes it a moment for the audio to actually roll in when you key up. Just a bit irritating that when you transmit that it takes it a few seconds so you stabilize. I am listening on in using the 146 GTL, so I sound a bit off up until a few seconds later, then I sound more on frequency. Of course this isnt happening on my other radios like a 146 or the 148 when you key up.

Any help or insight on what might be going on would be greatly appreciated.

Yep.... After some sleep, I realized I undid the wrong resistor.... I will put it back and remove R187...... Somehow my mind read it as 137 last night and I was a bit tired... Oops! :) Will report back later...

Bad decisions come from lack of experience.

Experience comes from making bad decisions.
-- Mark Twain

100% agreed. My next bad decision was to work on the radio at 5AM (Central Time) since I am already up. Allergies are whipping me into shape. Think I will hold off. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.