• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Stock cobra mic wiring

Jediwtr

Feb 8, 2023
I have an old stock cobra mic that I'm trying to wire for 5 pin 148gtl. I know what the pins are, but I need to know what wire is what as in, what color is audio, shield, rx, sw com, and tx. Which wires do I use and the color so I know which is which.....thank you

Attachments

• 16811357118467920850854987766892.jpg
    16811357118467920850854987766892.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38

how many wires are there in total and what are the colors?
I'm gonna say 4 wires. white, ground, red, black
pin1 audio - white
pin2 ground - shield
pin3 RX - red
pin4 no connection
pin5 TX - black.
Going from memory but should be correct.
If it keys up on its own when you plug it in, then you know black and red are backwards.

Last edited:
pin1 audio - white
pin2 ground - shield
pin3 RX - red
pin4 no connection
pin5 TX - black.
If it keys up on its own when you plug it in, then you know black and red are backwards.
There should be 4 and a shield. I'm not sure of the colors though.
Mic Wiring

Stock

1- Audio
2- Shield
3- Receive
4- Sw Com
5- Transmit

Reactions: DoctorAudio
You may have to open up the back of the mics' handset, and look for the DPDT switch, the Push To Talk button - see how it operates.

Not all "Color codes" worked - even though Cobra, Uniden and many others, tried to keep the same supplier and wiring in the mic cords each maker used - the colors were different for each maker because not all makers sourced from the same supplier.

So I've used a "default" type of setup - to help me recognize the color code of any mic that uses 4-wires or 5-wires - or more - the only thing you have to know is what they used to switch COMMON between - and the Audio that arrived from the Handset's cartridge.

Why do I know that?

Well, your radio provides the biggest clue, it comes with a handset - remove the rear case screws of the handset to reveal the mics' guts.

1681177622279.png

Ok, you say, you have a Handset, but has a 4-pin plug - but you need it to switch 5-pin.

Ok, So review the wires at that Handset.

1681178859747.png

Now on some Mic cording - they may say 4-wire with shield - best to get a cord and physically count those wires to make sure they are telling the truth, if not get a mic cord what uses 4-wire and shield - not just accept their word.

The above is a crude example of Mic 3-wire cord with Shield - but to many makers it works because you have 4 wires - shield is used as their common and ground and only one wire of that bundle has the shield wrapped around it so they use that color wire as the audio "live" or positive side - while the Mic cartridges' other wire is sent to ground - and ties to ground as it uses shield to do this at the MIC plug.

I just take apart the handset - look at it's wires and then decide to either use that cord for the other radio and wire the plug accordingly or get another cord with all the wires, in count - as needed and wire that - but to figure out the purpose of each wire - you can use their handset DPDT or PTT switch to set the color code they used for that mic cord for that mic handset.

Reactions: Holydvr
pin1 audio - white
pin2 ground - shield
pin3 RX - red
pin4 no connection
pin5 TX - black.
I have 5 wires, white, shield, red, black and yellow. I'm guessing I won't need yellow, but than again, which is the switching wire? There has to be a switching wire? Right?

pin 1 audio - White
pin 2 ground - Shield
pin 3 RX - Red
pin 4 no connection
pin 5 TX - Black
Yellow not used

Wire it the way I originally wrote, it should work just fine.
All of my 5 pin radios have only 4 wire mic's and pin 4 is not used. Which says to anyone that it does not need a switch common wire on pin 4 to operate.
Example: President Mckinley, Cobra 142gtl, 148gtl, Uniden Washington are all 5 pin and I don't use pin 4.

This is directly from the stock mic from 148GTL

Mic Wiring

Stock
1- Audio
2- Shield
3- Receive
4- Sw Com
5- Transmit

Greg T,
Yeah I know. You copied it from cbtricks.org right down to the word Stock in bold..
Which is exactly the same as President Mckinley, Cobra 142gtl, 148gtl, Uniden Washington, and many more 5pin Uniden/Cobra chassis.

The original question is not what the pins do as the OP already knows that. He clearly states what the 5 pins do. He wants to know what color wire from his mic corresponds to each pin.

Not trying to offend anyone just stating the facts.

Last edited:
Ok, to help more...

To Review...
1681431800349.pngThe Mic cord - to figure out this color code - is straightforward.

You know White is Ground - so that becomes Common
Black is Receive (Plunger out - shorts White to Black)
Yellow is Audio (Yellow Mic SHORTS to Yellow Audio in TX)
Red is Transmit...(Plunger In - Shorts White to RED)

Cobra - 4-pin

Pin 1 - White (Common) (Which is shield at the Plug end)
Pin 2 - Yellow Audio
Pin 3 - Red TX
Pin 4 - Black RX

IN Cobra 5-pin

Pin 1 Yellow Audio
Pin 2 No Connection (See Previous notes - might need to Short to Pin 4)
Pin 3 Black RX
Pin 4 White (Common) - Which is Shield at Plug End
Pin 5 Red TX

So if you can understand how I got to this point, you can do this!

Further Note...about 5-Pin - 5-wire setups not able to use 5-wire mic cords.

The Short to Pin 4 reference means there are various ways to get "Ground" and have the Audio NOT squeal - but not all cases work as a "standard"

So when you use the Pin 2 and 4 short together - might get a few quirks.

So use Pin 2 (for your Ground and Common) - then don't connect Pin 4 at the radio (Mic Plug to Mic Jack) - short Pin 2 wire to Pin 4 wire at the Mic Switch. - Pin 2 provides the ground at the Mic and radio - this means that you put Shield to Pin 2 at the Plug.

If you use Pin 4 (For your Ground and Shield) - it may put Audio "live" and make pops in the Audio from the speaker - then leave Pin 2 unconnected but use Pin 4 to ground the Mic element and the Mic common together - at Pin 4 at the Mic plug. This method is not the best for shielding of noise - but does physically ground the mic element all the time at Pin 4 ground - and not at Pin 2 shielded ground. This means you put Shield on Pin 4 at the Mic Plug.

Else for those 5-pin plugs - place a short at the Plug for Pin 2 to Pin 4 - at the Plug end - the Shield then just taps off of that to control the Mic. Just know that Pin 2 and Pin 4 short to ground - but these two grounds are different - it's why they supplied the radio with a separate ground for the Mic Audio - and a firm ground for the switching of POWER at the RX and TX side.

So the Audio side is delicate, and subject to noise - but can work in most home environments - just no guarantees on how well it works in Mobile setups for these Radios use a Chassis that is INSULATED from Mounting ground - meaning the Case is insulated at DC level - from ground - but the RF can pass thru to help with shielding - because the Chassis to Case ground is RF-bypassed - but blocks DC ground from leaking thru.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m