• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Storm got it

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
Storm got my ground plane. It’s not damaged it’s just lying over limp. Anyway, I’ve been thinking about fixing it. Then about replacing it. Then about just redoing everything antenna wise. So here’s my question. All things equal, some ground, same tip height on and on, all the same, is there any perceived difference between antennas? Say a starduster vs a 5k?

What ground plane was it?

Storm took out my Sirio Vector 4000 a while back, and I ended up replacing it. I thought about fixing it, and it wasn't kinked over, just bowed in a perfect radius maybe 30 degrees over the total length. I wasn't sure I could straighten it without kinking it.

I also have a Starduster on the garage, and the Vector 4k beats it by a good margin. But the Starduster is at 23 feet and the 4k is at 40, so it might not be a fair comparison.

I also have a Sirio 4 element beam at 12 feet and the 4k does about the same at 40.

I would bet that antenna height is more important than which antenna, but at the same time, I think the 4k would still beat the Starduster at the same height.

What ground plane was it?

Storm took out my Sirio Vector 4000 a while back, and I ended up replacing it. I thought about fixing it, and it wasn't kinked over, just bowed in a perfect radius maybe 30 degrees over the total length. I wasn't sure I could straighten it without kinking it.

I also have a Starduster on the garage, and the Vector 4k beats it by a good margin. But the Starduster is at 23 feet and the 4k is at 40, so it might not be a fair comparison.

I also have a Sirio 4 element beam at 12 feet and the 4k does about the same at 40.

I would bet that antenna height is more important than which antenna, but at the same time, I think the 4k would still beat the Starduster at the same height.
Man it’s an old archer .64. Fortunately there was no damage to the antenna itself.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.