• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

SWR IS SUDDENLY PEGGED OUT

G-Golly Wally

WDX 719 SE Oklahoma
Nov 5, 2008
Southeastern Oklahoma
I haven't had any problems with swr since I put my home brew antenna up two yrs ago. Then yesterday I was going to see if some chatter was going on, checked my swr before I go to talking like always and just buried the needle hard to the right. Checked again with a different radio and a different meter, same result. We've had more rain this summer than usual, my coax is old so im assuming rain has infiltrated somewhere. Just irritated that I'm shut down for the moment.

I haven't had any problems with swr since I put my home brew antenna up two yrs ago. Then yesterday I was going to see if some chatter was going on, checked my swr before I go to talking like always and just buried the needle hard to the right. Checked again with a different radio and a different meter, same result. We've had more rain this summer than usual, my coax is old so im assuming rain has infiltrated somewhere. Just irritated that I'm shut down for the moment.
Good thing you check it frequently !

Sounds like something that would have happened in the good old days ........

I'm not pointing any fingers, but did someone "pin" your coax? :oops:

Sounds like something that would have happened in the good old days ........

I'm not pointing any fingers, but did someone "pin" your coax? :oops:
Well, sabotage has crossed my mind. The wife kicked the son out of the house, So he could have but I don't really know. I have some more coax so I'll replace it and go from there.

Will do. it will probably be after I get home from work next time, it's kind of a pain in the butt to get my antenna down to work on anything. I need to fix that problem also.
That's why I mentioned checking the jumpers and I would do that first. It could save you from dealing with the coax if you got lucky. Every situation is different but I made a custom pivoting mount for my antenna mass because it is hard to find good dependable help when you need it. So I can use a winch to lower it after I remove some clamps and do it myself to avoid helpers who are in a hurry.But like I said everyone has a different situation. I changed my first location of the antenna to eliminate bothering helpers. LOL

You can use a vtvm to check for any shorts in the coax.
depending on what type antenna you have.
if antenna is disconnected a quick resistance check will verify if it is shorted.
Next would be to check for continuity.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.