• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Weird SWR problem that I’ve seen before!!!

Buffalo

Jan 2, 2023
I have a Sirio 27-4 on top of a 25’ telescopic flagpole. Pole is 11 guage aluminum. Mast above rotor is non conductive, fiberglass + pvc. I wanted some kind of ground and lightning protection. Bought an alpha delta surge protector and 20’ of RG213 from dxengineering to run from my radio to the ground rod at the base of the old push up pole my Sirio 2016 is on. Mounted the surge protector on the ground rod connected the RG213 and the RG8X that goes to the antenna.

Check match barefoot all good. Check with RM 503 turned on no change with dead key of about 100watts. The kicker is when I modulate on AM or SSB reflective power goes crazy. I plan to replace the RG8X going to the antenna with RG213. Just wasn’t in the budget this month. Amp is good checked on my ground plane. But something is not right. Works fine at full power from radio. Which is all I use 99% of the time. Like I said in the title I have seen this before but can’t remember what the issue was then. I guarantee if I run the RG8X straight into the shack all would be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_5768.png
    IMG_5768.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: Rwb

Start with your RG213 coax connector. It does not look like the shield is soldered to the body of the connector which causes a poor connection, nor is it properly inserted into the connector. The black jacket should be well into the connector or water will get in there and ruin it.

Reactions: Rwb and Buffalo
Start with your RG213 coax connector. It does not look like the shield is soldered to the body of the connector which causes a poor connection, nor is it properly inserted into the connector. The black jacket should be well into the connector or water will get in there and ruin it.
With RG8 or RG213 large coax I’ve always done my connectors that way. I fold back the shield over the insulation. Leaving about 1/4” of the white dielectric. I screw on the pl259 until I see the white through the holes in the connector. Solder the center connector. You could be right though maybe there is an issue with the shield connection. I’ve got a 50’ piece of rg8x I will put in place of the RG213 and see what happens. Might get some answers.

It's a 200w surge protector connected to a 300w amplifier. When you modulate, the peak power most likely exceeds the arc tube breakdown voltage.

Edit: That means stop trying coax because you are just dumping all that power into the arc tube and you will end up needing a new one.

Last edited:
my bad. I searched alpha delta surge protector and their website didnt show the HP version. Cool. Hopefully they didnt accidentally send it with the 200w tube.

I see that DXEngineering has the "HP" ones, but Alpha Delta's own website does not. I find that strange, especially when the ones on DXE are merely stamped "HP" on the same sticker Alpha Delta uses on their 200w version. Seems shady to me.

I tried... They don't even show replacement plugs on their website. Maybe I am going blind, someone else can look for them. Its probably right in front of me.
dxe alphadelta.png

Last edited:
I fold back the shield over the insulation. Leaving about 1/4” of the white dielectric. I screw on the pl259 until I see the white through the holes in the connector. Solder the center connector.
Instead of folding the shield back, don't fold it back. Just make sure its not touching the center conductor in any way, then solder the shield to the connector through the holes. Best way to keep the shield from fraying or folding back as you push the coax into the connector is to put a little solder on the shield first that way it grabs quicker when soldered through the holes. This is the best connection for shield or else eventually it will corrode.
Example:
I bought a pre made coax once 10 years ago from the antenna farm done the same way you mentioned you did yours, and the end of it 85 feet up in the pine tree attached to my Imax the shield was corroded to crap and that was with a shrink sleeve over the connector and coax which gave me the same issues you are having.

Yes, DXE does, but it is not a product listed on the Alpha Delta website.

They don't even show the surge protectors stamped HP

Edit: I'm not claiming the 2kw version is BS, I'm just pointing out that, for some reason, the manufacturers site don't show them and they can't seem to be contacted. Seemed odd to me that your surge protector could be triggering at about the same rating of the ones shown on Alpha Delta.

Pull the plug and try again.

Sorry for going off on a tangent like this, but I'm curious. I've never seen a round pipe smashed accordion style like that. How did that happen?????
ac1.png

Finally got around to replacing the 20’ RG213 with the 50’ of RG8x I have. No problems and everything looks good. Pretty much isolated the culprit!!! Only test I know how to do on the RG 213 is continuity and for a short. Will check that again and then redo everything.

Is it possible there is an incompatibility between the RG213 and the RG8X? Just thought I’d ask because I have never combined 2 different coax types before feeding my antenna!!!

Reactions: Rwb and brandon7861

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m