• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what coax comes on the wilson 5000

tunercars

Sep 12, 2012
using a RigExpert 55 to set up a wilson 5000 on my buddys car not my first time setting up an antenna and i can't get it to set so im looking for the type of coax and velocity factor for the coax hoping that helps with setting up the RigExpert so i can get the antenna to set so here is the deal the antenna swr jumps around then settles at 11 and trimming the whip has made no improvement's but i threw it on the radio to see what it would say and 40 is 1.6 20 is 2.7 and 1 is 3.5 now i know that's telling me its to long on the radio but why is not matter what i do the RigExpert telling me its an 11 its very annoying and i don't want to cut to much of the whip so i'm at a loss at this point i'm new to using the RigExpert but it really shouldn't be that hard to set a wave the whip is either short or long the magnet is the ground to the car there's not much else left to figure out

Reactions: rowemesp

Last time I had a Wilson antenna that would not tune I cleaned the end of the whip that goes into the loading coil. It had accumulated some corrosion over the years. Brought SWR from the 10:1 range down to about 1.4:1.

Last time I had a Wilson antenna that would not tune I cleaned the end of the whip that goes into the loading coil. It had accumulated some corrosion over the years. Brought SWR from the 10:1 range down to about 1.4:1.
its new so no corrosion

Maybe use a coat hanger wire in place of the whip to experiment with cutting the length. Is it in the center of the roof with no metal beside it?
correct it is well i took the top coil and whip off my old 5000 thats 13 years old and it works great on it so i'm going to use that whip for reference metal coat hangers are hard to come by these days

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Should say right on the coax, RG8x if it's a Wilson 5000. At this point sounds like you need to get the Rig Expert working properly before you trim too much off.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Bueller?
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)