• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

worldwidedx.com server is being hosted in Russia!?

Klondike Mike

May 31, 2010
Alberta, Canada
tinyurl.com
I have an add-on to my Firefox that indicates the location of the present URL being visited. I was shocked to see this. This is not good.

d3QHdWN.jpg

It's very commonplace. Much more common than you might think. There are many other countries in addition to Russia that provide cheap internet hosting as well. Music streaming sites are all based in weird places to get around Royalties and such and other website owners often have compelling reasons to have their servers overseas. It's cheaper, and gets around a lot of red tape.

Reactions: secret squirrel
... The url for the forum originates in
North Bergen in the state of New Jersey by Digital Ocean LLC, as Mike (sp5it) posted above. You can look up the IP 159.89.87.33

There is much more going on in the background that even this information is insufficient to confirm or deny the validity of my finding. I question the finding as well. Although I do not have the answer, I asked the chatGPT brain for its thoughts;

"The IP address 23.217.131.184 is associated with Akamai Technologies, a global content delivery network (CDN) provider. Akamai has servers all over the world to ensure fast and reliable delivery of content. Sometimes, due to how CDNs work and how IP geolocation databases are maintained, there can be discrepancies in the reported location of an IP address.

Here are a few reasons why the IP address might show up as being located in Russia:

1. **Outdated Geolocation Database**: The geolocation data used by your Firefox add-on might be outdated or incorrect. These databases are not always updated in real-time, and IP address allocations can change.

2. **CDN Routing**: Akamai might be routing traffic through servers located in different regions to optimize performance. This can sometimes cause the IP address to appear as if it is from a different location.

3. **Geolocation Service Inconsistencies**: Different geolocation services can have varying data sources and update frequencies, leading to inconsistencies in reported locations.

4. **IP Address Reassignment**: IP addresses can be reassigned to different regions or organizations. If the IP address was previously assigned to a Russian entity, some databases might still have outdated information.

To verify the actual location of the IP address, you can use multiple geolocation services to cross-check the information. Some reliable IP geolocation websites include:

- [MaxMind](https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo)
- [IPinfo](https://ipinfo.io/)
- [IP2Location](https://www.ip2location.com/demo)

These services often provide more accurate and updated information about IP address locations.

Sooo ... this means to me that the data may or may not be current (5 secs ago, 5 minutes ago, 5 hours ago ??) but at one point in time it was. Someone on the inside at Akamai would be better suited to provide an explanation.

This information shows current IP connections on the web server at the time of screen capture from the inside. It does not show connections and data routing away from the web server. That information would need to come from the Internet servers that provide the connectivity throughout the world. Still valid, but not conclusive.

FWIW, I have a similar browser extension and it shows a USA flag for this site.
Me too. Canada flag has showed up as well. Today its a USA flag with a different IP address.

OK, to be clear the server is not physically in Russia ... but the data path to get there may (or may not) pass through it. We end users will never really know for sure but my use of this add-on to Firefox points out the dynamic nature of the Internet. Lesson learned. I hope others got something out of this thread as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Bueller?
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)