• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Yeasu ft 990 deak mic

Copycat32

NNJ32
Feb 9, 2024
Northern New Jersey
Hi all.. Question I just Aquired a Yeasu Ft 990 I have a M70 mic that from what I understand needs a separate power source to work dosent do anything not even key up.. but stock Mic works fine.
Question is what model mic would work on its own.. Any suggestions? Comments?
Thank You

The radio does not have power at the mic jack. So, yeah, you need to provide power somehow. I don't know that mic model, but if the PTT line is wired correctly, the radio should TX.

When I had a 990, I isolated one of the two ground pins and applied voltage to feed the MD-100 I had, so I didn't need the Rube Goldberg wired workaround that Yaesu put out the bulletin on.
Hi all.. Question I just Aquired a Yeasu Ft 990 I have a M70 mic that from what I understand needs a separate power source to work dosent do anything not even key up.. but stock Mic works fine.
Question is what model mic would work on its own.. Any suggestions? Comments?
Thank Yo

Reactions: Copycat32
The radio does not have power at the mic jack. So, yeah, you need to provide power somehow. I don't know that mic model, but if the PTT line is wired correctly, the radio should TX.

When I had a 990, I isolated one of the two ground pins and applied voltage to feed the MD-100 I had, so I didn't need the Rube Goldberg wired workaround that Yaesu put out the bulletin on.
I was. Looking at that ext power setup didn't care for it.. Was considerin wireing an Astatic 878dm to it like I did my ranger AR3500 but After a little more research I found on yeasu the the MD-1C8 mic was designed for that and a couple other radios that would have needed then external supply... I found one and ordeted it hopefully it works with out a hitch then I'll sell the M70 that I purchased from Japan brand new....
If this doesn't work I'll try what you did with the ground pin..
Thank You

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.