• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter mobile antenna help.

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
Need your guys help. I have a 2 meter magnent mount right now on the roof. But im wanting to drill the hole. Was wondering if anyone has done this to this style truck. Was wondering how to take headliner down.
Truck is a 06 silverado.
Thanks

I'm not an expert on this truck but usually you have to remove the trim from around the headliner and the screws from the light in the center. The trim and the headliner are usually held in place by snap in clips. Sometimes you need a special tool to reach behind the clip and pop it out. One can be made from a chisel with a long handle and a notch filed in the center of it to go around and under the clip. If you just pull, sometimes the clip will break off before it pops out. If possible, use a 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna. The signal is stronger and much more stable when moving then a 1/4 wave VHF whip.

In my 07 2500hd I drilled just in front of the third brake light, pull the brake light to get to the connections.

I can take some pictures if it would help.(y)

Don't have that year, but did have an '04 Silverado, it isn't much of a problems at all. I'd suggest near the '3rd' brake light, front/side/whatever. I'd also suggest an NMO type mount, but whatever your antenna uses.
For what it's worth, I also had one on the driver's front fender/hood area. It was 'stiffer' than typical so was afraid of it on top of the cab (lots'a trees). It worked very well. Feed line came in through the door/wiring thingy.
Good luck.
- Doc

Sory for the delay, been covered up at work. You might can go another 1/2 inch toward the front but it gets tight to get your fingers in there.

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.