• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

300 ohm cable 2 strand can I use it for making antennas?

are you actually using the twin lead for the antenna or for feedline?
OK checked out the link-- its for the antenna
If I were to take a guess-- I would worry the most about the tuning stub -- measure from where the coax attaches up the left side, accross the connection at the top and down the side to the cut out notch-- try making this total length whatever cb wavelength-- that part is the actual radiating part of the antenna
The thing is changing this length might cause changes in the feepoint impediance and tuning stub

If I were to do this I would use a j-pole calculator to do some calculations-- thats what this antenna is like a j pole that bent over in the middle
Hardest part is going to be getting the length of the tuning stub right and exactly where to attach the coax on it
I would check with a j pole calculator to get that tuning stub right
It possibly could be OK by just lengthening the antenna radiator-- but i think I might be checking out the calculator to get that feedpoint right
That tuning stub is the worst part-- try checking some values with a j pole calculator-- how far up the tuning stub to put the feedpoint should be the same

Let me know how it works out--there is definatly a way to make a j pole out of that 300 ohm twinlead-- and it will more than likly work real well-- be real portable too
let me know how it turns out-- I might just "cook" one up for my self for backpacking

Well in the mean time I have found out that it is very hard to get a match of anykind for it and have found out that it will melt with the boot on so I have given up on the jpole from the 300 ohm wire but I will make a folded dipole and see how that goes...

Oh heck yea-- I though you were going to use it for camping, backpacking or emergency use where you would want to use a barefoot radio-- I'd hate to put more than 25 watts into it (if it can handle that)

But you could'nt get it to match up though.... darn--I was hopin it would turn out ok--- I think the trick is to get that tuning stub just right-- length and where the feedpoint attaches-- I think that tuning stub needs to be much longer like if you were to make a Jpole for 11 meters-
If you want to check out some different types of wire antenna design and design programs.... do a search for "Aries wire and curtan design program" its one of those freeware ham DOS programs-- it has some real good designs for wire antennas.... log periodics, curtain, bazooka, double bazooka, dipoles etc etc even just some real simple designs-- easy to use , just type in the op freq and all the lengths are calculated
I wanted to make a couple of these designs to try out back packing-- the log periodic would have been cool to try-- wanted to try a dirrectional wire antenna out

Too bad about the 300ohm not workin out-- sure would have been nice and small-- feedpoint impediance can be a bitch
Oh well-- let me know if you try anything different out-- always interested in different wire antenna designs for out in the bush

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.