• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

435online.com - interesting stuff here

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
The SoCal guys know all too well about this repeater and site:

Website for the 147.435 Amateur Radio Repeater

This was one of the first repeaters in Los Angeles, originally built in the early '60's Check out the history section (with photos) and a bunch of the other cool stuff on their website. They have live streaming audio also. The antique radio round table can be well worth listening to. Some neat stuff here....

That repeater is local to me.

A bit of history that may not be on the web.
Some 20+ years ago, the group was on the 146.61 pair.
At one time Kevin Mitnick was on this repeater.
He once had disconnected the telephone service of some repeater users that got under his skin.
This was a time before he was famous for his hacking.

Some 15+ years ago, another infamous former ham, Richard Burton had his license revoked, yet still operated on the 435 repeater under the callsign "N6". He was sent to federal prison several times, just for ham radio.

I can recall one user on this repeater ended up getting caught for running a meth lab. I think the the callsign WD6ACE.
I'm sure there is alot more dirt that happened that I cant remember.

Today, things are alot more calmed down compared to those years past.
But even today, its still necessary to "duplex" -- listen to the output while your transmitting or otherwise you'll never know when somebody is talking over you, or resetting you with an off-frequency carrier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.