• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Aircraft HF Help

debiassi

Ferry Pilot
Dec 24, 2009
UK
www.alpha2bravo.com
Hi there, a similar post has been submitted before without a real solution. I am trying to find a HF set that will work using a voltage inverter plugged into a 12v dc plug or alternatively an external battery pack and somehow using an antennae that doesnt need to connect to the airframe as this then requires FAA certification as a temporary installation which is expensive. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreceiated and please bear in mind I am a total novice.
Thanks in anticipation.

A Hand Held maybe, BUT YOU DONT KNOW HOW IT WILL EFFECT THE AIRCRAFTS ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS OR INSTRUMENTS,SO ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA!! THATS WHY THEY WANT IT CERTIFIED BY THE FAA. NOT YELLING JUST WANT TO MAKE A POINT BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!

It is a legal requirement on an oceanic crossing to carry a HF radio. the point is if it is installed, then it needs to be certified, if it isnt installed, then it doesnt need expensive certification. It has nothing to do with interfering with aircraft systems. If you know of a handheld solution that could possibly work please let me know.
Regards

It seems you want to get out of doing what you really should do for safety. Since the HF radios that are required are not uncommon, and since the requirements for their use are very smart ideas to abide by, and since the expense is not all that great, just exactly what is your purpose? I think it's something I want nothing to do with, no matter what it is. Even when explained in such a way that even a dunce can understand, you are persisting in this. Why does that make me think there's more to it than just trying to save a dollar?
- 'Doc

I see you two blokes replied to the other ferry pilot too. I dont understand it, why is it that ferry pilots are frowned upon when asking the radio community for assistance? There must be something in past history that I am not aware of. I will refrain from troubling you further. Thanks anyway.
Regards

I see you two blokes replied to the other ferry pilot too. I dont understand it, why is it that ferry pilots are frowned upon when asking the radio community for assistance? There must be something in past history that I am not aware of. I will refrain from troubling you further. Thanks anyway.
Regards

Nowhere here did you say that you were a ferry pilot and that the requirement for a temp setup was for such a flight. It is amazing what a little extra info will do for curbing someone's suspicions. Only just now did I see it under your name. :headbangI'm sure others missed it as well.

Contact Bill Cox via Plane and Pilot Magazine (yes, he does answer emails), or contact an FBO in Gander, Newfoundland (or whatever the preferred jumping off airfield is for Westbound flights over on your side). They surely have every bit of information you need for a temporary ferry-flight installation. Heck, the FBO probably rents the equipment.

There's just too many discrepancies in this story. I don't know of too many ferry pilots that would risk their necks because they can't afford a radio. Then, who says 'they' have to pay for that radio installation? I would think the ferry service would have that responsibility, wouldn't you? Or are either of these two the owners of that ferry service? If so, they very definitely would never fly my aircraft! There's frugal, there's cheap, and then there's just plain damned stupid. Guess where I think this one falls?

A hand held HF radio for use on a transoceanic flight. Yeah, right. I have no idea what the purpose of these questions are/were but something just isn't 'right' about them. This isn't the only place where these questions were asked. I thought that was a bit odd too, but who knows.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.